Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Marc was used to sitting in the bar nursing a drink that wouldn’t even give him a decent buzz. With the fast metabolism of a werewolf the liquor had no chance to do its magic. He wasn’t there to drink his sorrows away because that didn’t work; he learned to use the bar for another avenue to numb his pain. The pain of being stepped on over and over by cruel fate.

A pretty blonde came to his right and leaned into the counter to place her order with the bartender. She was a cute little thing wearing a denim skirt and a tight black tank top. She caught him looking and offered up a smile.

Marc felt like his heart was in a million pieces, each shard cutting him deeper when he tried to forget, tried to get up in the morning and act like everything was ok. This didn’t mean he didn’t try to look presentable when facing the crowd. He had put in his favorite blue shirt and a pair of slakes to join the world that night. “Here with friends?” he asked, nodding back to the large crowds of different people behind them. Some were seated at booths drinking and conversing, others were on the floor dancing to the pulsating beat of some song blaring out of the speakers.

“Waiting on some but they’re late.” She hoped up onto the empty stool next to him. “You?”

“I’m all alone.”

She was open about checking him out with her dark eyes taking in every bit of what he had to offer. “That sounds impossible.”

“I wish it was.” He grabbed the half empty glass and took another drink from it. “What’s your name?”

“Crystal.”

He extended his hand. “Nice to meet you Crystal. I’m Marc.”

She took his hand but instead of shaking it she leaned in closer. “You look like you got a lot on your mind Marc. But you don’t seem to want to talk about it.” She whispered the words near his ear with all the right amounts of sex. It didn’t take any science to see this woman was looking for a good time. Her outfit was showing off her assets looking for someone to take the bait.

He was willing to gladly take it. “Talking is overrated.” He slid his hand up her leg and under the tight little skirt. She wore no panties and didn’t tense one bit at his boldness. He was hitting the jackpot with this one, he thought with a grin.

She sat back and gave him an open invitation lacing her eyes. “I’ll be in the bathroom.”

He watched her go and waited a good minute before joining her. It wasn’t like anyone took notice, the crowds were all engrossed in their drinks and the music to care about noticing two people slipping away to the back. She grabbed him by the shirt when he stepped into the bathroom. He made sure to lock it before they stumbled back near the sink.

He unzipped her skirt, grabbed her by the waist and sat her on the counter. He threw the skirt out of the way and went to work on opening his own pants. They weren’t there for foreplay or to waste time. She wanted it and he needed to forget he existed for a while.

As he moved in and out of her reality fell away. In his mind this woman’s eyes became a bright hazel, her hair from blonde to brown.

Reality always came back to slap him in the face. When it was all over he was no more closer to running away from his demons but the small breaks helped him muster up the strength to keep going. He never thought a broken heart could actually hurt this bad, that it would make him sick of life and every waking moment he had to suffer through it.

Crystal finished dressing and flashed a big smile. “Why don’t we do this again some time?”

Marc was leaned back against the counter feeling dirty and numb. “Sure.” It’d never happen, he had nothing to offer other than what he just gave her but he didn’t want to hurt the girl’s feelings. He was sure she’d find another guy to forget about him soon enough. He took her number and shoved the paper in his pant’s pocket.