No Names

Everything happens for a reason — or so, that's what they say. If you go into the coffee shop instead of walking past it, or if you sit in the table across from the lonely girl with her nose in a book, rather than sitting by the old couple enjoying a cup of hot tea, a second later that becomes your past and not only affects you but it affects others around you. And though you don't realize it now, but right there and then is where you are meant to be at that moment in your life.

        And for the boy who was walking home from school and got caught in the sudden rain, he was meant to sit right across from the girl with the book.

        Although the story usually starts with two strangers meeting at a coffee shop, this story has a twist. Though neither one of them knew the other person by name, they were far from being strangers. Since the beginning of their high school career, they have both attended the same school as freshmen and now as seniors. And yet, they still don't even know the other's name. 

        It's not like they've done everything in their being to avoid one another, it's just that nothing has ever brought them together to actually be able to hold a real conversation. 

        Until now.

        After every other sentence the girl would glance up from her book and her gaze would meet his as he was already watching her. But not in a creepy way; he was fascinated. Fascinated with the way she blushed and covered up her face when she forced herself not to smile at a cheesy line, and how her eyes grew wider when she was completely engrossed in a specific part. But what fascinated him the most, was that he's seen her before.

        Curiosity was gnawing at the back of the boy's mind and eventually got the best of him when he picked up the courage to walk over to the lonely girl with her nose in a book. With a smile that stretched from ear to ear he said, “Hi."

        “H-hi there,” she answered, stumbling on her words as she struggled to close her book shut, but not before she bent the corner of the page to make sure she didn't forget where she left off. 

        “Is this seat taken?"

        “I’m single — it’s single. uh, I mean, no. I-it’s free."

        A comforting laugh escaped his lips and the girl felt her body relax when he sat down across from her instead of walking away. “You go to Liberty High, right?"

        “I do! I um, actually picked up your pencil when you dropped it in the hallway and chased you down.” Once the words were out of her mouth, she mentally face-palmed herself for blurting out the first thing that popped in her head. It was one of her many flaws. 

        “Right right. I remember that. You said that uh, that I shouldn't lose it because when I'm feeling alone a pencil and paper would be my best friend. That was pretty deep."

        “It's true. And books. But I didn't know if you’re much of a reader."

        “Well surely you have room for another friend? I’m—” 

        “No!"

        “What?"

        “No names."

        He chuckled at her request with a hint of confusion seeping through. “Okay... why not?"

        “Because, names are the gateway to knowing someone which leads to their heart. Like, when two idiot couples are stupidly infatuated with each other—”

        “You mean in love?"

        “No. They think it's love, but it's not. Anyways, they both get matching tattoos and most of the time it's a heart. And do you know what's written in those hearts?"