ten

The days passed without any other occurrences, and my second week out in the sticks eventually came to an end. Michael had bought me a curtain so I could block out the morning sun, and I had grown used to my mattress laying so low. Maybe I would ask Michael if I could get a bedstead next.

Like I had decided, I regularly texted Mom and Ruby so they wouldn't feel the need to call me again. I kept the messages short and simply yet informational enough to not be too repetitive and monotone.

And just like that, I started to somewhat get adjusted to this town, starting with Michael's house. I learned how to handle the shower and get the temperature just right, I figured out how to arrange the stuff in Michael's fridge to bring in at least some order and when Sunday came around, I decided to top all that with learning how to wash a car.

I had never done that before since Eliot had always been way too protective of his car, scared that I could somehow ruin it if I got too close, and Michael's truck was silently begging for being cleaned anyways. I wasn't old enough to have a license yet, but even if I were I wouldn't have a vehicle. Mom wouldn't allow it, and cars in a city like the one I had grown up in were useless, anyway.

So I equipped myself with gloves and clothes that I didn't mind getting dirty and wet, found a bucket that I filled with water and grabbed an old spoon from Michael's garage. He had everything I needed, so I wondered why he never came around to actually cleaning his car.

Probably the same reason he never cleaned the house, though.

I took my speakers with me so I could distract myself with some music while working. A happy tune made everything easier.

It was a nice day out, the sun was shining and warming my bare arms when I started spreading water all over the truck's front. So far, this was pretty easy. Wow, I was a natural. Maybe I could someway turn this into something I get money off.

"I got too much dirt to come clean, closets full of skeletons that you don't wanna see, will you judge me? All my ugly? I won't blame you if you do," I sang along carelessly, not bothering if anyone could hear me.

"I already am."

At this point I wasn't even surprised to see Asher standing on the sidewalk, watching me with an amused expression. I rolled my eyes and turned the volume down a bit.

"Can you like, leave? You're ruining my day," I stated impatiently.

The boy just shrugged and hid his hands in his pockets. "I'm bored."

"Not my problem."

I opened the driver's door and took out the doormat, briefly shaking it so all the dirt on it fell on the ground. Jesus, this car must have been last cleaned when Michael bought it, what probably happened shortly after he moved here ten years ago.

I lost my grip on the doormat and it fell to the floor, causing my ears to heat up in embarrassment. Wow, good job, Kiri. Way to make you look like an idiot in front of Asher, who was already watching me with a cocky smirk.

"First time cleaning a car?" he asked, still not moving from his spot on the sidewalk. "Wait, forget that I asked. I already know it is."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the doormat, throwing it carelessly to the side.

"What are you even still doing here? Don't you have any hills to climb?" I asked in irritation. Honestly, at least I was trying. Was Picasso good when he made his first drawing?

Asher raised a brow. "I'm just messing with you," he said. "Don't get all worked up."

The song ended, and I took out my phone to choose another one. When I had found one I glanced at Asher who was still just standing there, watching the truck and seemingly lost in thoughts.