Chapter 4

Chapter Four (4)

In this chapter I hope to explain the different forms of Magic that exist on the world of Dracodonius. Arcane magic has always existed since the creation of the world by the gods it is a residual effect but the other forms were taught to the mortal races by the gods Nefarus and Beltar. Magivus just taught Mages how to harness the arcane and control it. There are Four kinds of Magic that thrives in the world: Arcane, Divine, Elemental, and Psionic or mind magic. I will cover each more specifically in this chapter.

Arcane Magic: After the world was created a residual force was left behind known as ley lines. Magivus taught the Mortals how to control these forces and with the help of spoken words, components, and symbols the user of the Arcane arts can accomplish feats no mortal can. The down side to being an Arcane Mage is after every spell is cast the Mage will have its knowledge wiped from his mind, its is known as the curse of the Mage, every morning they must study the spells and how to cast them, the longer one is an Arcane mage the more spells they can learn. The Mages will have to seek out ancient texts and other spell books to learn the spells themselves this knowledge is not given to them but only certain people seem to be able to have the concentration to harness this power. Some spells require just the verbal (spoken in the language known simply as arcane), while other spells will require somatic or hand gestures, and some spells will require an actual component to be consumed at the end of the spells casting. The more complex the spell the more is required, some spells will require all three while some will require just the verbal. An Example of a spell cast by an Arcane mage is a spell called Acid fog. This spell Acid fog creates a billowing mass of misty vapors similar to that produced by a solid fog spell. In addition to slowing creatures down and obscuring sight, this spell’s vapors are highly acidic and will slowly eat away at the person's clothing, armor, and skin. In order to cast it the following is needed: Verbal (Estalthar, dorgam estela), Somatic(must stand still while combining the materials and before the last word is spoken the components are tossed at the area the Mage wants the fog to start) Arcane Material Component: A pinch of dried, powdered peas combined with powdered animal hoof.

Divine Magic: is a form of magic that is granted by the gods. This is magic that mainly priests and clerics use. The spells are similar to Arcane magic but instead of having to speak words in a strange language or making hand gestures it requires the priest to say a prayer. It still requires concentration as the Priest must focus on the spell effects. Similar to the Arcane Mage the Priest must wake up every morning and pray to his god to be granted the spells for the day and once used they are wiped from his memory and the Priest must pray to his deity once again to learn how to cast it. The longer a Priest is in service to his god of service the more spells his deity will grant him and the stronger the Priests faith in his god the more powerful effects that god will grant his follower. An example of a priest spell is as following: Cure wounds the Priest lays his hands on the target and says a prayer to his deity he must remain calm and envision the wounds healing. His hands will start to glow as the power of the deity flows through him. This spell will affect undead differently it will actually harm them verses healing, but will still require the Priest to touch the being.

Elemental Magic: is magic that is learned to be controlled by elemental mages or elementalists, it was taught to mortals by Nefarus the goddess of the elements. They are able to take one of the four elements; fire, earth, water, and air and control those elements to do their bidding. They can summon creatures from the elemental plain as well. Like the other forms of magic that exists in Dracodonius Elemental magic is wiped from the Mages mind once cast and the Elementalist must spend his morning learning the spells he wishes to use for the day. The longer an Elementalist studies his craft the more spells he is able to learn, if the elementalist chooses to go with one specific element his spells for that element will be more powerful. To cast elemental spells the caster will need to concentrate as well as create a symbol of power in the air. An example of an Elementalist spell would be Burning Hands the caster will hold his hands forward with his thumbs touching and using his fingers to trace the symbol of fire in the air once finished a cone of fire will burst forth from the casters fingertips if the elementalist is a fire elementalist specializing in this element the flame will burn hotter than someone who is not a fire elementalist.

Psionic: or mind magic was taught to the mortals by Beltar the god of greed. This form of magic is not cast like other spells and sometimes one may never know the person they are facing is a Mind Mage until it is too late. The Mind Mage must concentrate deeper when casting his spells and some of their spells require touch. Unlike other forms of magic though a Mind Mage does not lose the knowledge of his spells once cast but he must spend several hours a day in deep meditation to keep his mind prepared to cast those spells. The longer a mind mage meditates he more spells his mind is able to to hold. An example of a Mind Mage spell is Psionic Blast the Mind mage concentrates his mental power causing The air ripples with the force of his mental attack, which blasts the minds of all creatures in range. Psionic blast stuns all affected creatures in a 30 foot radius.