Tantalizing Torture

Tantalizing Torture 

The Prologue 

  "How about lavender?" I cringed, and struggled to keep the perky smile on my face. No! Anything but that! I wanted to scream, but instead my lips spoke those familiar words that were said so often, but very rarely meant.

“What a wonderful choice. Lavenders are my favorite as well. Would you like me to...” And the blur settled down on me again. That numb feeling, haze that always seemed to push me under before I can ever get a breath of fresh air.

I felt the lavender rustle as I arranged them for the ignorant couple. Idiot boy, I wanted to hiss. Didn’t he understand the things flowers could foretell? And yet he chooses to doom himself and his new relationship by getting her lavender.

And to think that this whole situation could have been averted, just by asking me or even referring to the flower meaning cards I had carefully taped to each vase.

“Seph.” I turned. I had just finished ringing the customer up and had just given him back his change. I hear the bell above the door ring as the customers left, a final “Their so pretty!” rang out as the wind blew the door shut.

I scoffed at them and rolled my eyes – Idiots. I turned, and saw Arte giving me her trademark look. I narrowed my eyes at her, annoyed. “What now Artemis? I didn’t do anything wrong! I gave them the damn lavender!”

“Hey! It’s not Artemis. It’s Arte. Pretty, sophisticated, beautiful. Like me!” She stated, and I burst out laughing. Artemis was dressed in her twin brother’s football jersey and wore ripped skinny jeans and black boots for god’s sake.

Real sophisticated.

“Ooh, Okay then. Persephone. How do ya like me now!?”

I glared at her, she knew I hated my name.

My mother was probably delirious at the time, of all the bloody Grecian names, a GIRL one no less.Persephone.

Artemis just smirked at me, knowing she got the reaction she wanted.

Lavender – Distrust.

Tantalizing Torture

Chapter 1

I trudged home, the soft rain falling, seeping through my hood and wetting my auburn hair, turning it an even darker shade of crimson.

I’m isolated, awake at five am - unmotivated, unplugging the clock again - I lose track of when this day ends and the next one begins.

The music blasted in my ears drawing unwanted stares from those who don’t give a damn. About my life, my history – my secrets. And yet they all find grounds to judge me. Even when they don’t even know who the fuck I am.

I shake my head, sending water drops flying everywhere. The music blasted in my ears and I stepped off the sidewalk, closing my eyes.

I wasn’t really thinking, maybe it’s because I wanted to test fate. Just to see if it exists, you know? I wanted to see if there really was a planned destiny for someone, or if it truly was just someone being in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

  The blaring sound of a car horn woke me from my reverie, my eyelids flying open. Oh my god, oh my god. What did I just do?