Chapter 29 - "I'm still yours."

Haley walked against the tide of students towards the gym. While most people meandered, savoring the time to finish up conversations with friends, others sprinted for the parking lot, wanting to beat the exiting traffic. The crowd thinned as Haley spotted the big stone building. Already she could see other project members gathering into their perspective groups. Rachel fell into step with Haley, barely realizing she was there, her mind elsewhere.

"Hey," Haley said, tugging the girl out of her thoughts.

Rachel blinked, focusing on Haley.

"Hey."

A breath of silence passed between them.

"How are you doing?" Haley asked, glancing at her sideways.

Abruptly, Rachel stopped and placed a hand on Haley's arm, halting her.

"Look," she said, "I really appreciate you helping me out yesterday. But I am going to be okay. Nick has to figure out what he wants and when he does..." Rachel straightened her shoulders and swept her hand in front of her like she was sweeping away the subject. "Well, then I will deal with that. But please stop asking me if I'm okay."

Haley nodded, understanding. If she was in the same position part of her would want to simply move on and having someone constantly fretting over her would make that difficult. It struck her then that Rachel and she might not be all that different.

"I get it. You're fine," Haley said.

Rachel released her shoulders, glad someone comprehended. Without another word, they continued to the gym. When they rounded it, they came to a dead stop. What lay before them was something that surprised Haley and completely stunned Rachel.

Along the wall, the collection of booths - that had been half painted before - were now complete. Each one had a bright color decorating them. The work that would have taken a lot of hours that week was done. Rachel opened her mouth but nothing came out.

"Woah!" Josie said, appearing around the corner followed by Jace and Ty.

"Seriously, Rachel," Jace said. "You're unbelievable sometimes. When did you even have time to do this?"

Rachel still couldn't find what to say and managed only to shake her head. Finally, she breathed out three words.

"It wasn't me."

From inside the gym, Nick walked out. His hair was damp and though he had worked hard there were still specks of paint on his arms and at the edges of his hair. He looked around, searching. Finding Rachel, he redirected his steps. The group's gaze attached to him. When he stopped before her, he still looked like he hadn't slept but there was determination in his eyes.

"How?" she asked.

"Coach, a few blackmailed football players and an entire night plus free period," he said.

Rachel shook her head like she couldn't believe it, her eyes glistening.

"I'm still your best friend," he whispered, dropping his gaze as if he felt again the weight of what he had done.

Rachel reached out and took his hand, lacing her fingers through his. Nick stared at their intertwined fingers, closing his tightly around hers.

"I'm still yours," she said.

Nick gave a hesitant smile like he couldn't truly believe it.

Ty whistled. "I got to say you work fast for an idiot."

Nick's smile widened, his eyes never leaving Rachel. "I had something I didn't plan on losing. I wasn't going to waste time."

When Rachel smiled, it looked as if all the pressures of the world had fallen off her shoulders. Nick tugged her hand.