Chapter 8

"A successor," Katsuki repeated numbly. "Are you absolutely shitting me? We can't do shit with these fucking suppressors on!"

All Might coughed blood and sat back down. "Yes, Young Bakugo. But my quirk is not like yours. It is one that stockpiles power from previous generations, so ancient that these nullifiers do not have the knowledge to prevent any usage."

That makes absolutely no fucking sense at all. The tension remained in the air, the voice of his previous request resonating in their skulls. Someone was to step up and accept this responsibility, for the better or for the worst. It would mean Izuku would be after them like a predator to prey.

So who will it be? was the unspoken inquiry.

Aizawa sighed. Of course no one will be able to handle it. He would accept it himself if he was able to, but One for All needed new blood. His body was messed up enough already. Holstering a stockpile quirk that existed in eight different users would only result as a walking nuke.

A hand was raised. Everyone turned to the brave volunteer. To be frank, it was someone that they had never expected.

"I'll do it," Mina said.

All Might closed his eyes in acceptance and worry. "Very well, Young Ashido."

"Ashido-chan?" Momo simpered. "Are you certain? Your life and your family would be at stake."

Mina nodded in determination. "If—if it's for everyone else, I'll do it. It's what a hero does!"

Everyone stared at the acid girl with rejuvenated respect and worry. Judging by All Might's expression, this would not be a simple journey for her to master this powerful quirk.

* * *

Mina lasted about three seconds.

Sure, she was athletic. She had a dangerous quirk. But breaking bones upon her first usage was not part of the plan.

"First eating hair, now I'm breaking bones?" Mina pouted as Aizawa and Momo wrapped her damaged arm with bandages and a cast. They had no healer, and they weren't sure whether Recovery Girl was still alive or not. Even if she was, how would they be able to sneak her in the area?

The inheritance of One for All wasn't what anyone had expected. The class had been looking forward to a dramatic take of passing down some sparkling orb of power down to the pink-skinned female, but instead, All Might promptly plucked a strand of his hair and handed it to Mina like it was a snack.

"Eat this."

For the record, everyone's reactions were worth the comedy. Katsuki choked on air. Ejiro, Denki and Hanta's jaws bitch slapped the ground. Kyoka's regular, non-quirked earphones dropped out of her phone in shock and the only thing that everyone could hear next was Barbie Girl as a rock version.

Frankly, if things hadn't been so dire, everyone would roll on the floor and laugh at the supposed-emo girl's music tastes. But now, not even barbie girl remakes could lift the mood.

"You didn't tell us that this would break any bones," Toru huffed, waving her visible hands in the air.

"Young Ashido has the athletic abilities to be a vessel already," All Might explained evenly. "But mastering the quirk takes time."

Atop of having a destructive quirk that works like a double-edged knife, Mina's original quirk had been boosted dramatically. She'd tried to melt the lid off a pickle jar—because those things were evil—but melted the entire counter instead. Her acid was becoming more lethal and potent, all the while escaping the nullifier's detection.

Mina had to work with a broken arm and an enhanced acid quirk, but she made it work. Everyone else was concerned and lied about her injury when Izuku showed up at their dorms, claiming that she'd fallen off the second floor was because they'd forgotten that their quirks weren't working.

"Head over to the nurse's office. The healer should get you checked up."

Mina sweated. What happened if those healers discovered that she'd gained a second quirk and told Izuku? What if he knew that it was One for All?

"N—no, it's fine!" She waved her uninjured hand in objection. "Villains don't have healers like heroes do! We should learn to rely on ourselves and work with what we have, right?"

That logic astounded everyone, but Izuku nodded as if he seemed to buy it.

"Tell me if you change your mind," he told her and returned to his room.

Everyone breathed a silent sigh of relief. Izuku's checkups on them were always creepy and silent.

All Might held up two of his fingers to the class as Izuku's footsteps turned silent.

Two more days.