Chapter 20: Loud silence

Max's POV

McKenna exits without another word, leaving me and Tony alone in the hallway. Suddenly, I could hear her sobs coming through the door. Tony must have heard it too. He rushes over to her door and goes to knock but stops. He leans his head against her door and takes a deep breath.

"What happened to that guy from the other night? The one that tried to justify his sexual relationship with her by saying she was making you feel something. The one that I said was going to hurt her and he swore she was making him feel something. You did exactly what I said you would do. You're not capable of love, Tony. You need to let her go. I care about her and I don't want to see her hurt."

He straightens up, like a mask on his face, and shakes his head, "Oh, trust me I know you 'care' about her. I'm not doing this shit with you. You're right. Is that what you want to hear? This is why you don't get involved with someone." He starts walking towards his room in a split second.

The next morning I awake to my head pounding from the light pouring through my window. My stomach curled as I shuffled in bed. I can't believe I let the guys encouraging work to get me that drunk. The thought of tequila made me nauseous. I get up to go to the bathroom. I get lightheaded and fall back onto my dresser beside my bed. The noise echoed throughout the hall. McKenna comes bursting through the door.

"Are you okay?!"
I pick myself up off the floor. I try to act like it didn't even hurt me.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

She refuses to even look at me. She looked so naturally beautiful her hair in a slight mess from her slumber. Her night gown was a silk dark blue that complimented her body. It slipped down her chest just right to reveal a slight grimace of breast. My cheeks flushed at the thought of her bare body. I notice her staring at the ceiling while she holds her hand out.

"Um, Max..."

She points down and I finally realize... I have no clothes on. I stumble to grab the blanket and cover myself up. I slip on the sheet and fall. ​

"Damn, Max! See what happens when you consume too much alcohol in one night."

She grabs my arm and pulls me up. I could tell she was nervous and felt awkward as her hand trembled under my arm.

"You can never consume too much."

We both start laughing. She sprints across the room to where a pair of my sleep pants were resting on a chair in the corner. Suddenly the door opens and almost hits her as she makes her way back towards me.

"What the hell is all that noise?"

In walks Tony. He takes one look at me and then to McKenna with my pants in her hand. I didn't realize how bad it appeared until the expression on Tony's face dropped instantly.

"Sorry for interrupting." He slams the door shut.

McKenna just stares towards the door and doesn't say a word.

"Why won't you go after him?" I bait for her response.

"What's the point? He told me what we were doing was nothing more than what it was. He'll never feel anything more for me. It's a waste of time." She quickly straightens her composure as if nothing had happen.

Her eyes narrow to my semi hidden body wrapped in the sheet. "Nice butt. Here you go. I'll see you downstairs." She smiles and walks out quickly.

I could see the pain behind her smile. I could feel a difference in the way she held herself. Although I didn't agree with the two of them being together, it wasn't about me and my feelings for her. I knew I needed to talk to Tony. I needed to help fix this between them so maybe at least there could be peace within the house. I throw on my clothes and head downstairs. I search each room and in the garage/hangout room. He wasn't there. All the guys were sitting in there working on one of the cars and cleaning guns while the music played loudly. I head through the kitchen and look on the back patio. Tony was sitting on the railing facing out towards the lake off in the distance. He was smoking a cigarette. I walk out and he turns around to look at me.