Chapter 2

My first day here in the Cullen’s residence was kind of, well… awkward. It really was. I wasn’t used to being treated with extra attention. I wasn’t used to being some kind of a freak. That’s right, a freak.

                I kid. I was just exaggerating.

                It all started when Bella, Reneesme’s mother, finally gave in to her curiosity.

                “Why are your eyes brown?” she asked.

                “Oh… I drink human blood.” I answered automatically.

                Her jaw dropped. “I thought you’re a vegetarian?”

                I fought a laugh. They already told me the joke but I’ve never gotten over it. I managed to reduce it to a chuckle. “I trained myself to ignore human blood as my primary source of energy.”

                I looked at her expression. She was still chewing the idea. I looked around and found that almost everybody stopped what they were doing. Their attention was on me.

                I sighted. “You see… “ I gestured my hands almost helplessly. “It worked like desensitization. I just finished the ‘course’. Oh… Answered incorrect… I used to. I think… Yeah, that’s right.” I trailed off.

                I looked around. No one uttered a word. I focused my gaze at Reneesme who was beside Bella. It’s pretty easy to converse with her since her eyes were not much intense like the others.

                “I did it two decades ago. I started to kind of stop having human blood as part of my daily diet. But you know how it won’t satiate the thirst, right?” I started to explain. All were focused to me intently now.

                “On my first year of the new ‘fad diet’…” I quoted the last two words and tried to sound casual. “When I find the craving unbearable, I would settle for low-life thieves and sex offenders. Then I gradually lessened the ‘dose’ every year.

                “Seven years ago I settled for only half a blood pack. Two years later my cravings and need lessened to the teeniest bit that the human scent is just like every other scent I smell and human blood are no different than the elk’s.” my voice at the end sounded triumphant.

                I scanned their faces, hoping for an appraisal. They said nothing but some jaw drops were far priceless. I smiled internally.

                “Don’t you remember the taste? How do you deal with humans who are more appealing to you than the rest?” Emmett asked curiously. I wondered if he experienced these.

                “Of course I do remember the taste, still tasty, but not really mouth-watering to me now. It’s just like you’ve eaten your favorite cake over and over and over again for two weeks straight and that you go blechhhh…” I made a face for my lack of words to the answer.

                “As for the person who really smell delicious… I’ve encountered one before. I just told myself that she was just like an ice cream I could never afford to buy. So I just have to settle to another brand which has less quality but still appealing: bears.” I beamed.

                “It sounded so easy.” Reneesme said.

                “No it wasn’t. Well, maybe I made it sound like that but it was still hard as hell. I’m a child still and it’s hard resisting to what you want, much hell more difficult if it’s your need.” I explained knowingly.