Chapter 1

*{Part 1}*

I wake up in my warm, comfortable bed and turn my head to look up to my left. The sun is shining through the golden, sheer curtains in the room, which leads me to assume it's late in the morning. I shouldn't have slept in. I know Maxon had to get up early this morning to go to a meeting with the government of the Province of Carolina, but he probably didn't want to wake me to say goodbye. There were some disturbances with the peace in Carolina due to angered civilians. They were questioning the security of Illéa, which resulted in fiery cities all over the place. My dear Maxon went to talk to the officials to see if they could calm the riots down. Nonviolently, of course.

I slowly stretch my arms and yawn as I get out of my bed, eager to start a new day in the palace that has now become my home. May has fallen in love with all of the kind servants, and Aspen is happily wed to Lucy. My mother is peacefully enjoying every minute she spends at the palace, and I married the prince and became the queen of Illéa. Every member of my family is very happy with the way their lives are going now. Everything could not be going better.

I open my wardrobe to find a full variety of clothing that I would never be able to afford at my old home in Carolina. It would take a year's salary there just to pay for one silk collar here. Ruffling through all of my dresses and things, I end up putting on a light blue silk dress with a necklace lined with tiny, delicate crystals. After brushing my teeth, I put on a touch of makeup and brush my hair, then head out the door to the wide quiet halls of the palace.

My small heels are silent as they tread along the red carpet in the hall. I haven't quite gotten used to the silence in the palace as the days go by. I guess it's because when I first arrived at the kingdom, there were always girls in the Selection bustling about. However, I have accustomed to the luxury of the palace. The jewels, food, and the constant servants and protection have found a way for me to enjoy them as much as I am grateful for them. Suddenly, I hear someone rushing as I turn the corner in the hall. I turn my head around to see who is approaching.

"Lady Schreave! Lady Schreave! Please wait up, my queen." I turn around to see one of the maids in the palace. I think her name is Cynthia. She is panting as she tries to catch up with me, her maid's outfit blowing behind her due to her fast pace.

"Yes, miss?" I ask her as I wait for her to catch up. She looks very anxious when she steps in front me. When she catches her breath, she begins to speak.

"Sorry to disturb you Lady America, but nurse Francine would like to see you in the infirmary immediately. She said she would meet you elsewhere, but her station today is watching over the sick and injured soldiers. Don't worry about me knowing too much, for that is all she told me to relay back to you."

"Thank you," I reply, wondering what could be in store when I arrive at the infirmary. "I will head there immediately, so there is no need to tell her I received your message." I promptly head towards the west corridor of the palace where the injured soldiers or guards are. I pass Lucy in the hallway, and we both give each other a friendly wave and smile. Even though we haven't had the oppurtunity to speak to each other in a while, we still try to keep our bond close. Sometimes it's a little awkward between us, though, just because she married Aspen. Regardless, I'm all the same happy for her. I hope that we can continue to remember the process of the Selection and what we went through together as friends.

As I think about the chores and duties I will have to fulfill today, I find myself at the entrance to the infirmary. Nurse Francine quickly scurries towards me as she finishes mending a soldier's leg wound. Yesterday, there was a food raid in a village near the palace, and a few soldiers got hurt in the process of scaring away the thieves.

"Lady America!" she whispers quickly and quietly while she comes to my side. I can tell she desperately wants to tell me something.

"What is it? I'm worried sick about what it could be," I give the nurse a concerned look on my face.

"I need to speak to you somewhere privately. We can go to the supply room in the back." She leads me past the rows of sick and injured patients, and I look at each of them sympathetically. There are dozens of men that have risked their lives for the sake of our beloved country Illéa.The nurse pulls me into the room and shuts the door behind her. "My queen, I have quite the news for you." She looks at me with a look that almost seems shocked.

"Lady America, you're pregnant."

"What?" I stare at her with disbelief. The test was positive? This is going to be a huge shocker for Maxon and my family. For everybody, really. This changes everything. Maxon's life. My life. The whole kingdom.

"But there's more, my queen." Francine stares nervously at me. I look expectantly at her for an answer, pressing in my mind for a sudden response.

"What?" I stare at her intently and hold my breath for whatever is coming next.

"Well, um... Well you see...." She stutters and nervously speaks. "My lady, you seem to be having twins."
__________________________

Thanks for reading this! I will be updating the chapters as much as possible. Chapter two is published:)

Disclaimer: I don't own the Selection series or any of the characters; Kiera Cass does