fifteen

Late Christmas night, after both the Cabellos and the Jauregui's have finished opening their presents and eating their meals, Lauren lays in her bed watching A Christmas Story on the TV on her wall. There's a knock on her window, and a smile grows on her face because she knows who is outside in the freezing Kansas winter to see her.

She skips over to the window and opens it up, quickly ushering Camila inside so she's not out in the cold for longer than necessary. ⠀⠀⠀

She looks over her outfit of pajama pants and a hoodie. "How didn't you freeze?"

Camila shrugs. "I moved quickly and just had to hope that you were still awake in your room so you could get to the window fast."

Lauren smiles and kisses her cheek. "Want to watch the best movie of all time with me?"

⠀⠀⠀She looks over her shoulder at the TV behind them to see what was on. When she recognizes the movie, she nods her head. "I would love to."

⠀⠀⠀Taking her hand, Lauren tugs Camila over to her bed, which she jumps on while her girlfriend kicks off her shoes. Camila climbs onto the bed next to Lauren and wraps her arm around her shoulder. Lauren rolls onto her side to rest her head on Camila's chest. ⠀⠀⠀

"Did ya get anything good?" the younger girl asks.

Lauren nods her head against her hoodie. "I got a lot of clothes that I really like. What about you?"

⠀⠀⠀"Mainly clothes and stuff to use on the horses." Camila shrugs. "Nothing too exciting."

Lauren shoots up abruptly. "I got you something!"

Camila looks at her in confusion as Lauren crawls over her to reach for something on her night stand. She props herself up against the headboard as Lauren sits on her lap facing her, so in more of a straddle. "I thought we weren't getting each other anything."

⠀⠀⠀She shrugs. "It's not anything big." ⠀⠀⠀

Lauren places a green headband on her head and smiles down at Camila.

She flicks the green leaf dangling off a long stem attached to the band. "Is that mistletoe?"

⠀⠀⠀"Maybe," Lauren says as she leans in and kisses her. ⠀⠀⠀

Camila's hands wrap around her waist as Lauren's go to the back of her head, running her fingers through Camila's hair. Her lips are sweet against Lauren's, and her touch is soft. Nothing is rushed. Nothing is forced. Neither of them are trying to push anything farther than just kissing. ⠀⠀⠀

"How did you get in here?"

Mike's voice at the door causes Lauren to jump, and Camila's face immediately turns red. This is the man who she has worked for for years, and he just walked in on Camila making out with his stepdaughter. Embarrassed is an understatement for how Camila feels. ⠀⠀⠀

"The window," Camila replies.

⠀⠀⠀"Well, I think it's time you leave out the front door," Mike instructs.

Camila nods her head and swings her legs off the side of the bed to shove her feet back into her boots.

Lauren kisses her cheek. "Merry Christmas. I love you."

⠀⠀⠀"I love you too," she says as she stands up. "Merry Christmas, sir."

Mike doesn't say anything until he hears the front door close.

⠀⠀⠀"Lauren..." he begins.

⠀⠀⠀She rolls her eyes. "Don't even try to lecture me. We weren't doing anything wrong."

"Sneaking a girl into your bedroom through your window ain't doing anything wrong?" Mike questions. ⠀⠀⠀

She crosses her arms over her chest. "I wasn't trying to sneak her in, and no, there wasn't anything wrong. We were just watching a movie and kissing a little bit."

⠀⠀⠀He glares at her. "Don't let it happen again."

⠀⠀⠀"I can't promise you that," she mumbles.