7 years

According to the promise, Beca's dad made her, always only lasted seven years.

It was the longest so far, just not long enough for Beca.

~~~~

As the family of three watched Cindy walk down the road, lugging her bags behind her, John declared, "I will never marry again."

Beca turned her head up to look at her dad. "You promise?" She asked.

"Promise." He whispered back. "You'll always be the only girl in my life."

"Always?"

"Always."

~~~~

Seven years later, Beca groaned as she struggled to tie up her bridesmaid dress.

"Here. Lemme help you with that." James offered, ready to go in his brand new tux.

"Thanks." 

Beca watched her brother in the mirror, pulling the zip up on the back of her dress. It was pretty enough, just way too pink for her liking.

She huffed and muttered another 'thanks' when he finished. They continued to stand in front of the mirror until Beca sighed and turned around to face him.

"Why couldn't she make the dresses black?" She moaned. "Or at least not pink. It's like she's trying to purposely ruin my life even before she says 'I do.'"

"Hey," James said, "don't be so hard on her. Sheila isn't a bad woman. She's miles better than Cindy ever was." Everyone called Cindy by her name, even her own son. He was still disgusted by the way she had treated them, all those years ago.

Their dad then walked in, flustered and stressed, but doing well for someone on their wedding day. He hadn't yet got to the stage of panic that his suit had a dirty mark on it, but Beca was waiting. James had bet her $50 that it wouldn't happen at all, but Beca knew her dad way too well to think that it wasn't a possibility. 

"Oh my god. You guys look amazing. Seventeen already and I remember like it was yesterday the first time you..."

Beca was quick to cut him off before he embarrassed her too much.

"You look great, Dad." She told him honestly.

"Thanks. Are you sure there aren't any dirty marks on my tux?"

"Nope you're fine." Beca clarified before turning to James and waving a hand at him. "Cough up." She demanded, waiting for him to give her the money he owed. Muttering under his breath, James obliged, rooting through his pockets for a crumpled 50 dollar bill and stuffing it into Beca's outstretched hand. 

"Thanks!" Beca said, turning around towards the door. "I'm gonna go check on Bridezilla. Be right back."

Dr Mitchell just turned, perplexed, to his son who was still muttering under his breath. 

"You bet on me?" 

~~~~

Although Beca was happy for her dad, a paranoid part of her brain kept trying to convince her that the same thing would happen that happened with Cindy. She was tired of people making promises that would never be kept. She just wished they would stop making them altogether.