One

Everyday at 6am, like many other grown men, I make my way to work. My job, however, doesn’t involve things that a normal job does. For instance, others go through the day complaining about their job and can’t wait until they can go home at the end of the day, to their family’s maybe. But in my case, I have no family to go home to; I wake up hoping to get called into work because there’s nothing I love more then doing what I do. I don’t do paper work most days; I don’t sit in front of a computer all day. Well then what is it that I do you may ask? I’m an agent for a secret spy agency called S.P.A.D.E.S., it stands for some long confusing name that I can never fully remember so I just call it S.P.A.D.E.S.

  I’ve been at the agency ever since they recruited me at the young age of 9 along with my partner Alexandria. I ran away from my home and Alexandria was kicked out by her father. There was another girl with us when we were younger but she wasn’t recruited with us, and we haven’t kept in touch so I don’t really know anything about her anymore. For all I know she’s dead. Her and I never really got close but I did have quite the little crush on her. The day that she was separated from us, I felt horrible, like I was abandoning her. Everyday since that day, I think about her, and what I would do if I ever saw her again. I feel like I owe her for leaving her. I don’t know, maybe I’m crazy; I mean what are the chances that her and I will meet again?

  “Carter, I need a break. You want to get some lunch?” Alexandria asked me as she stretched. She’s been doing a lot of medical training do to her lack of skill when it comes to hand to hand combat. Yeah she can shoot a gun if needed, but since she isn’t great at fighting the boss decided to put her in medical training. She still goes out on missions with me, I just usually do the close up things.

  “No thanks but could you bring me back a coffee please?” I asked and gave a cheesy smile.

  “Okay I’ll be back soon,” she put her jacket on and walked out of the room.

  I rubbed my stiff neck and stood up. I know I said that I don’t typically do paperwork, but do to the lack of missions for us to go on this month, Shiera, the boss, has requested for her field agents to do paperwork. So in result, I’ve been stuck at a stupid desk, aching to go out and do something.

  “Knock, knock,” Shiera said as she knocked and opened the door. I hate when people do that, it defeats the whole purpose of knocking. “How is the paperwork coming?” she asked me.

  I took my hand off of my neck and placed it in my pocket and stared at the middle-aged women in front of me. “Shiera, I’m sick of this paperwork. I want to get out in the field. Are you sure there aren’t any missions? Anything else?”

  “Sorry kid there’s nothing yet. But you’ll be the first to know when we get something in,” she said then smiled but I didn’t return the smile. I’ve never been a fan of our boss; I’ve never trusted her like I should be able too. I know there are things going on in this company that I don’t know about, but what were these things?

  “Is that all Shiera?” I asked wanting her to leave the office I’m in.

  “I do wish you wouldn’t call me that Carter. I want the paperwork on my desk by tomorrow morning. Oh and the cabin you’re currently staying in is undergoing some maintenance so you’ll be staying with Alexandria until you’re cabin is finished,” she said stiffly then left. Great, now I can’t even stay in my own cabin. I picked a wonderful week to quit smoking.