iv. The Return to Omashu

I was content, despite being trapped in a cave for a while. We were now up in the air, on the way to Omashu, and I decided it would be best to bond with my friends. I finally understood shutting them out was a bad idea. I had a right to be scared of my powers, but that didn't mean I should push anyone away.

For a moment the four of us laughed and told stories on our animals. However, the warm feelings vanished as we stared down at the once great city. A wave of cold spread through my body as I felt shame for my Nation.

Factories and smoke littered the city. Dark smoke poured into the sky. And above all, the Fire Nation flag stared back at us like a slap to the face. How could my nation do such a thing?

"I can't believe it. I know the war has spread far but Omashu always seemed... untouchable," Aang said sadly.

I walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. I could feel his pain seeping from his body. This was another place he had a connection to from his past and it was taken again by the Fire Nation.

"Up until now, it was. Now Ba Sing Se is the only great Earth Kingdom stronghold left," Sokka reminded, only making my frown deepen.

My eyes were fixed on the city, as unbearable it may be. "I never realized how bad things were. At home we learned about how great our Nation was, but since then I've only seen the Fire Nation destroy."

Katara walked up to us. "I know, this is horrible, but we have to move on."

My heart ached at the thought of leaving these people at the hands of the Fire Nation. They were being ridiculed and tormented. Nobody deserved to be treated like lesser.

"No. I'm going in to find Bumi," Aang said and stepped forward.

I followed him. "I'm behind you, Aang. We can't leave these people like this."

"Aang, Naya, stop. If you are seen you'll be sent straight to the Fire lord and more people will die. And we don't even know if Bumi's still..." Sokka said hesitantly.

"What? If he's still what?" Aang turned around.

"...around." Sokka finished.

"Aang, I know you had your heart set on Bumi... but there are other people around who can teach you earthbending. And Naya, I know you feel obligated to make up for what your Nation has done but we can't stop them on our own."

"This isn't about finding a teacher. This is about finding my friend," Aang defended.

"And this isn't about making up for what the Fire Nation has done. It's about protecting innocent people," I said in return, knowing wholeheartedly that it was the right thing to do.

+

"A secret passage? Why didn't we just use this last time?" Sokka asked as Aang tried to pry open the sewer with his staff.

While we were on the way to Omashu, my friends told me about what happened the last time they visited. This time, the visit would be completely different.

A green substance spewed out when Aang popped off the lid. My face shriveled in disgust as a waft of odor hit my face. "Does that answer your question?"

Sokka, Aang, Katara, Momo, Yue, and I sifted through the liquid while Bonbi and Appa waited outside. Aang used his airbending and Katara used her waterbending to move the substance out of the way. With Sokka behind me, the two of us sat in a rock cart I made as I bent us forward. When we finally reached the end, we all stealthily got out of the sewer, except for Sokka. I heard a splash from down below and then a groan, indicating he fell into the goo. I smacked my forehead. How could someone be so clumsy after I allowed us to come out so clean?