27~ Make It Last Forever

Interviewer : How are you feeling? It's nice of you to join us!

Shanelle : Thanks for having me! I'm feeling fine, tired actually but I'm fine. I slept a bit on the plane ride here.

Interviewer : You guys flew in from Boston right?

Shanelle : Yeah, we flew in from Boston and tonight we fly to Connecticut after the show.

Interviewer : How's touring with the boys? I'm guessing there just loads a fun everyday with those goofballs but what are some things you like most about it and what are some things you never want to do again?

Shanelle : Well, watching the boys every night is definitely highlight. I'm still a J5 fan at heart so I be screaming and all on the side. They always know how put on a good show. The pillow fights are fun and seeing the new places and new faces is always a plus. I don't really have much cons about touring. I'm not really doing any work, this isn't my tour, so for me it's just like a long well needed vacation.

Interviewer : That's not necessarily true. It's been said how you've been working with artists like Stevie Wonder to Chaka Khan, writing songs for them.

Shanelle : Yeah. I mean, besides that. I don't go work with people everyday. It's just every once and a while.....Well.. actually, it's been happening more frequently now but it's still not everyday.

Interviewer : It's still something. How did these collaborations happen? They seemed to just pop up out of nowhere, each song heating the charts up in flames!

Shanelle: Thank you. Well, I met Stevie during a private session of his my Uncle Berry took Michael and I along to. From there he expressed his troubles and asked for my help after Michael mentioned how I wrote a song for him that was doing well at the moment.

Interviewer : 'doing well' is such an understatement. That record sold over 300,000 copies its first week and shouldn't you guys be getting your platinum plaque for it some time soon?

Shanelle : We are? I don't keep track of those things. That's usually Michael's department. But, yeah. That's how the Stevie collaboration happened. The one with Al green came from meeting each other at an after party of a James Brown concert Michael took me to. He said his he was having troubles with his writing as well and from there we exchanged information. I sent him a song or two a few days after. Chaka Khan and I actually haven't formally met but I met Gladys Knight who I then show a song to. She thought it would be perfect for Chaka and it was.

Interviewer : Wow. It's still hard to believe your only 14 years old. How did you even get to this position where you are at now? Big top artist I'm  sure you've looked up to at some point wanting to work with you and sing your songs. How does that feel?

Shanelle : It feels fantastic. Having your idols idolize you is a feeling no one can ever get use to. I truly didn't envision my dream of becoming a songwriter would happen this soon. In all honesty, I had very little to do with it almost. It was all Michael. He took my song to my uncle and made it a gold record. Just because of that, just because of him, doors instantly opened for me and I couldn't be anymore grateful of him.