The Doors of Death

The line went dead and Liathny hung up, adrenalin rushing through her veins. So she’d got the lyre. That was great. Now all she had to do was make sure Thorn wouldn’t call her up on Saturday and find her gone. She chewed her lip as she walked back to Neira’s apartment, pondering the thought. Could she leave a recording? She could put a recording on the answering machine, though that could be a tad obvious when it started beeping and asking if he wanted to leave a message. And how would she respond to his voice? No, it was too complicated. She would just have to ask Neira to pretend to be her. It couldn’t be too hard, could it? Surely Neira could pull it off.

                “Liathny?” Reina stared at her, her hand hovering over the intercom.

                “Oh, hey Reina,” Liathny said.

                “What are you doing out?”

                “I just went down to the shops to buy something for you to eat. Unfortunately they were closed.”

                “Right,” Reina said, hoisting her sheaf of papers up under her arm. For once she wore a pair of jeans and a simple green shirt. Her ever present diamond necklace shone in Liathny’s eyes.

                “Well, can we go in?” Liathny asked.

                Reina turned back to the intercom, pressing the correct number for Neira’s apartment. There was a buzz that rang through the building. After a moment’s silence the door catch released and they made their way to the lift. Today it was playing some Mozart, which seemed to calm Reina somewhat. She looked at Liathny.

                “So, how are you finding house arrest?”

                “Just wonderful. There’s so much to do.”

                “Really?”

                “No. It’s a boring load of shit. Does that make you happy?”

                Reina pondered this for a moment.

                “Not really.”

                “Oh? You tell me you’re not enjoying my boredom?”

                “I don’t hate you Liathny,” Reina sighed. “I just think you’re a bit dumb.”

                The doors clanged open and Liathny collapsed onto one of the couches, her legs dangling over the armrest.

                “Look, if you want to have a go at me, fine. But I’m not going to listen.”