Chapter 25

Iceslide lay in the stone den on his stomach, listening as Bone Shred led his rogues away. He felt numb and empty inside. He tried not to look at the bodies of Truffle and Dime that were here with him. He wanted to remember them as they were when they were alive, not bloody and motionless.

I never should have come here... He thought. Now three more cats have died because of me. My friends. He rested his chin on the cold ground and covered his face with his paws. Now what? I guess I wait here until Bone Shred has me killed. In the meantime, he's killing more of my clanmates. The thought tore his heart in two.

He glanced up at the mouth of the den where the guards were. Heart Burn and Patch Swipe were sitting there with their backs to him. I can't fight off both of them. He felt completely helpless. Just then, he heard meowing outside the den.

"You two would be much more useful in the battle. Why don't you go catch up with the others?"

Patch Swipe hesitated. "We were ordered to guard Iceslide," He growled.

"We can do that." Another cat meowed. There was some hesitation before Patch Swipe and Heart Burn hurried away, and two new cats took their place. Iceslide recognized them as Howl and Dandelion. He had met them before at their old home in twolegplace.

 Iceslide closed his eyes, and it was quiet for a few moments. Then suddenly, the two cats turned and entered the den, and he raised his head, narrowing his eyes. "What do you want?" He growled. Perhaps they'd finish him.

"Get up!" Howl hissed urgently. "We'll get you out of here."

"What?" Iceslide blinked as Dandelion crouched and sniffed him.

"Are you hurt?" She asked worriedly.

He got to his paws, wondering what was going on. "I-I'm fine."

"Good." Howl was crouched by the entrance, staring into the clearing before looking back at him urgently. "The coast is clear. Come on!" He crept out from the den.

They're really helping me! Iceslide hesitated, then padded out after him, aware of Dandelion following. To his surprise, the camp was empty. Bone Shred must have taken all of his cats but the guards! And he says I'm a fool!

Howl nodded across the clearing. "You'd better hurry if you want to help your kin."

He looked at the dark gray tom, puzzled. "Why are you helping me?"

"You saved us from starvation," Howl replied. "Bone Shred is wrong to do this to you, after you brought us here."

Dandelion stood beside her mate, her eyes narrowing. "He's a cruel, heartless cat!" She spat. "We have all we need here, and yet he still wants more. He wants others to suffer."

"If you think that, why do you follow him?" Iceslide asked in confusion. "You could leave."

The rogues exchanged a solemn, helpless look. Then Howl spoke. "Bone Shred was the toughest cat in twolegplace," He meowed. "Many of us were living alone on the streets, starving and unable to care for ourselves. Bone Shred gathered us, promising us shelter, protection, and food in exchange for absolute loyalty. And he did give us everything we wanted, but many of us weren't prepared for the price we had to pay."

"He encouraged violence, enjoyed picking fights with other cats," Dandelion meowed sadly. "Some cats were already like him, but it didn't take long for most others to adapt. Eventually nearly all of them shared his thirst for blood."

Howl looked down. "It won't be long until you and your friends are all dead, Iceslide." He said quietly. "I'm sorry, but it's a fact. Bone Shred won't back down, and his cats will follow him anywhere."