Chapter Nine

(Please enjoy this chapter specially written for StormyKnight777. Also, try and spot the foreshadowing!)

"Hi!" a little voice said, tugging at Grizin's clothes.

Grizin turned to see one of the village's newest additions. She was only three at the time. He, himself was four hundred and forty-two. Still pretty young by dragon standards, but not so young. His hair was short, easy to manage. He carried himself with an expression of tightness. He tried to make himself as unapproachable as possible. Because of what happened all those years ago, he hated humans. He despised them, so much so that his whole attitude had changed. He was no longer that bright, friendly child that Fabeldyr had known. Now, he was bitter and rough. He snapped at people who got in his way and was generally regarded as the village's cranky old man, despite his young age.

"What?" Grizin demanded, scowling.

"I'm Cece!" the girl told him, smiling brightly. She had orangy-red hair pulled into pigtails and freckles all across her pale face. Her orange eyes were bright and full of wonder, the same color as his father's eyes.

"So?" Grizin snapped.

"Wanna be my friend?" Cece asked.

"No," Grizin told her, walking off.

"But you're alone!" Cece said, following him.

"And? I like being alone," Grizin replied. Why was this annoying little girl following him so much?

"No one likes being alone, silly!" Cece replied with a giggle, having to run to keep up with him. "I don't!"

"Well you aren't me," Grizin snapped. "I don't want to be followed by a little brat like you."

Cece frowned and grabbed onto Grizin's tunic. "But. . .but I don't wanna be alone," she told him, sounding close to tears.

Grizin stopped and sighed, closing his eyes. "Where is your mother?"

"I dunno," Cece replied, not letting go of his tunic. "I got lost. . ."

"Why did you leave your mother?" Grizin demanded.

"I wanted to say hi to you!"

"And then you followed me. . .so you got lost, great," Grizin grumbled. "Come on, let's go find your mother so you can leave me alone."

"Yay! More time with new friend!" Cece replied, bouncing up and down on her heels. "What's your name?"

"Why does it matter?" Grizin asked, very much annoyed.

"Because you're my friend now!"

"I never said I was your friend."

"But I wanna be friends. . ."

"Don't start crying!"

"But-but-I wanna be friends and you don't!"

Grizin sighed through his nostrils, trying very hard not to yell at the tiny Cece. It was very difficult.

"Cymbeline!" a woman said, rushing up to them. She had the same hair and eyes as Cece, but she was slightly tanner and without freckles. "There you are! How many times have I told you not to go running off on your own!"

"Hello, Mardell," Grizin told the woman. "Is this yours?"

"Yes, thank you for keeping an eye on her, Grizin," Mardell Tanith replied, scooping up the little girl. "Was she too much trouble? She didn't bother you too much, did she?"

"No, but you did get here just in time," Grizin told her.

"Mommy! I made a new friend!" Cece told Mardell, all thoughts of crying gone from her mind.