1. Sharing Secrets

I keep my face blank as I feint to the left. Roran falls for it and lunges left with his half-sword. At the next second I move to the right, his sword barely catches my right cheek as I am not quite fast enough on my pivot. The small scratch barely registers as I thrust my silver coated sword at his midsection. He grunts as he jumps back, almost stumbling when his feet land. My sword catches on his clothes and pierces them to barely scratch at his midsection. We watch each other as the smell of new blood permeates the air. All of a sudden he steps forward again. I meet his sword and twirl mine around his. At the exact moment our blades are facing the ground I pull out a dagger from its resting place on my lower back. Quicker than the human eye could see I place the dagger at his throat. I smile now, feeling accomplished, and Roran disengages his sword grinning back at me.

"I see you have been practicing at multi-weapon use." He bows to me now his left hand on his right shoulder as he bends at the waist. I place each fist on their opposing shoulders and bend my head towards him.

"You have taught me that it is better to be prepared than to be caught unawares." He chuckles and starts to walk off the training ground with me following.

"You were always my best student. Now look at you! The youngest titled Warrior yet." I smile at my mentor's pride but I cannot help it when I pluck at my shirt.

"I have had the best teacher, Major Roran." He guffaws now and I laugh quietly, always influenced by my noble upbringing. Mentioning his new title has me curious again so I ask, "How has your promotion been?" We are now walking down the wooden corridors of Kinza manor.

"It has been a great honor and easier than I expected. Many of the men and women already respect me. Mostly, come to find out that they made bets on how long it would be for my promotion. I guess I was the only one surprised." I cannot help my grin spreading to show my fangs knowing that he was indeed the only one surprised at the promotion.

"Togin was impressed with your time with me as a Guard and has seen how well of a mentor you have been to many," after my input Roran just adjusts his sword belt and avoids looking me in the face.

His voice is now a little gruff just as his cheeks are a little pink, "I just wish all of my students found control of their vampire soul as easily as you did." I smile wanly knowing that he and I both know that occurred after I was eight, but I am pretty sure I know who has him so disgruntled.

"Arikel again?" Roran grunts as his eyebrows furrow.

"Yes, that damned nephew of mine doesn't see the point of total control. Thankfully Xantha, smart girl that she is, doesn't listen to him but he's influencing Sylven now."

"Sylven is also choosing the path of the warrior?"

Roran's whole demeanor changes as he smiles proudly at his young nephew, "Yes. He has been great for Jaida."

My voice lowers as my worry for his family grows, "How are they?"

His own voice grows sombre as he clenches his fist, "They are getting through Oriane's loss. Xavier is holding on for the twins more than the rest of them but it was Jaida suffering the most out of their children." I place a hand on his shoulder trying to offer what little comfort I can. I have never had a sibling to lose like my old guardian has lost twice now, but I have lost my mother. He takes my comfort until we are stopped in the middle of a hallway from my father walking out of a room. Before the door closes behind him completely cold air wafts towards us. The air smells musty and bloody and I cringe slightly as I fight the instant urge to heal. Just the smell alone tells me that my father had walked out of the dungeons which, for obvious reasons, I have never been allowed down to. My hand comes down from Roran's shoulder as I fall into my familiar mask with my father. For a second I can see regret in his eyes as he watches my emotions shutter closed before him.