Chapter 8

I'm so sorry for not updating but I have a MAJOR writer's block right now and I have had an awful lot of tests and I've been really tired. I have had NO spare time for writing. I don't have any ideas at all for this story and am considering putting it on hold, unless I get a bright idea or any of you come up with any...

"Mom! Dad! I'm going now!" I yell. They all come running down the stairs, my mother, father and brother. I pick up my schoolbag and throw it over my shoulder. My father comes up to me and kisses my forehead.

"Bye, sweetie. I love you." he says. I sigh.

"Yeah, love you too. But hey, I gotta go now, it's my first day in high school. I can't be late." I say. My father nods and puts his arm around Mother's waist. This is my first day in high school. I gotta focus. My brother comes up to me, punching my shoulder.

"Good luck, sis. My school doesn't start till nine, so I get to be here for another hour with Mom and Dad." he says, trying to make me jealous. He's ten years old, and can be a little annoying sometimes, but he's still the best little brother you could have. He's tall for his age, he looks like he would be at least twelve years old. And everyone says he's an exact replica of my Dad when he was young. Just as they say about me and Mom. They all know my parents, of course. They're famous. Have been since they were sixteen. I've gotten to learn the whole story, from the star-crossed lovers-part to the rebellion, partly in school, partly at home. My Mom doesn't like to talk about it, and there are certain parts my Dad can't remember. He still has his flashbacks sometimes, but they aren't as violent as my Mom's told me they were when they were young. I hug my family again, and then I am out the door, walking towards the High School of District Twelve. It's maybe fifteen minutes' walk from home, but I don't mind. My friends meet me halfway, and they are giggly as always.

"Hey, Ivy, that guy's been watching you ever since we entered the schoolyard." Estelle whispers in my ear. I look at her.

"He's not!" I say.

"Oh, he has." she says. I snort, looking at "the guy" for the first time. He's good-looking actually. Broad shoulders, brown, wavy hair. And Estelle is right, he is staring at me.

Katniss

I can't believe my eldest child just walked out the door to start high school. Time goes so fast, she's already fifteen. A year from the age that Peeta and I went into the Games for the first time. Now, when I think about it, I still think she's awfully young and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose her to the Games. But there are no Hunger Games anymore, you've got to understand that. I tell myself. I snuggle into Peeta's chest, seeking warmth and closeness and comfort, I feel so bothered by this kids-growing-up thing. He understands, putting his arms around me and rubbing my back. When we stand there for a while, we hear Adrian's voice.

"Are you gonna stand there the whole day? It seems like it." he says, and we both chuckle. I motion him to join the hug and we end up in a big group hug, Adrian inbetween us. When we think he doesn't see, I sneak in a kiss on Peeta's lips, soft and gentle and reassuring. Because I know that what bothers me bothers Peeta too. He's just staying strong for all of us. I break away from the hug and look at my boys. They look very alike, although family members usually don't see the resemblance. I put a hand on each of their heads, both covered by an untamed mess of curly, blonde hair. It's funny, although both me and Peeta both are over 40 years old, none of our hair has started to turn gray. I wonder if we're ever gonna get old. I chuckle for myself. Peeta strokes my cheek.

"I love you, both of you." he says, pulling Adrian close to him.

"Love you too, Dad." Adrian says. I can't believe how cute he is. I love my son so much, he is the best son you could ever hope for. As my daughter is the best daughter. And my husband is the best husband. I'm so happy I made all those choices I made years ago, and I can't help but think that it was a good thing Prim was reaped that day twenty years ago. Although she is not here to see this day, I have to thank her for bringing me and Peeta together. Because I don't know whether Peeta would ever have gathered the courage to talk to me or not. And even if he had, I would never have married him and never have gotten children with him. I remember forbidding myself to love anyone in the way that leads to marriage, because that would most certainly lead to children, and I was so worried of losing them that I just couldn't do it. I am pulled back from my thoughts when Peeta touches my shoulder.

"Katniss" he says. I focus my eyes on his face, and then on Adrian's.

"What?" I say. He smiles at me.

"Nothing. Hey, Adrian, do you have your backpack packed? Have you eaten enough breakfast?" Peeta asks.

"Yes, I have. Everything's done." he says. "I think I'll be going now, I'm gonna meet Thomas in fifteen. " I smile, giving him a kiss on the forehead.

"Okay. Good luck. Remember, don't go to the Hob, there can be weird people in there. Only me and Dad can go there." I tell him. There had been some psychic drunk alcoholic who had harassed some girl, and after that I've forbidden my children to go in there. Especially as they are our children, there can be some person who hates us and wants to hurt our children. Only that thought makes me want to hide in a dark closet somewhere. The thought of constantly having to watch over my kids, making sure they don't get hurt because of something I've done.

"I know, I know. Bye Mom, bye Dad." he says, walking to the door.

"Bye, son. Have a nice day." Peeta says after him as he closes the door. I hug Peeta tight.

"They grow up too fast." I complain. Peeta doesn't laugh, he just sighs, stroking my hair.

"I know. But childhood isn't the only part of life. Maybe they won't be living with us our whole life, but we'll see when they marry, and have kids, and all of that. And when they move away, we'll still have each other." he says, breaking away enough to look at me. And as he says this, I know he is right.