Chapter 1 - The Proposal | Now |

Chapter One – The Proposal | Now |

There was a limit to everything. I was compelled to believe that I’d reached mine.

“Miss Monroe, is it true that you’re marrying Oliver?”

“Are you dating him?”

“When’s the wedding date?”

“How long have you known him?”

“Are you pregnant?”

My eyes remained glued to the screen as I watched myself panic. My eyes were wide and I looked like death had come to take me in the form of inquisitive journalists. Then, Landon appeared beside me, his blue eyes fueled with anger. He took my hand in his. That really set the paparazzi off, but he didn’t stay for long.

Then, the video ended and a reporter appeared on the screen. “There you have it.” She said, looking directly into the eyes of the camera. “Oliver, the lead singer in Coveted Hearts, is officially engaged. Though we were unable to get the words out of Oliver or the new lady in his life, we have an inside source telling us that this is the real deal. If we doubted it before, seeing their hands together really confirms it. Miss Faline Monroe is not seen wearing a ring yet, but we’re sure that—”

The screen in front of me suddenly went blank, and I looked up to see Landon holding the remote. I glared at him. “Why did you turn it off?”

“Why are you watching that?” He asked me. “They’re insane. They say stupid meaningless things. They’ll say horrible things about you. Why do you want to put yourself through that?”

“I’m not putting myself through anything. They’re just talking about wedding rumors.” I told him. They weren’t saying anything that I already hadn’t heard. I was the new lady in Landon’s life that appeared out of nowhere, and the weird thing was, I wasn’t even a lady in his life. I was just his best friend—that he wanted to marry.

“We’ll hold a press conference and make it official, Faline. Don’t worry. Remember that I’m the one who asked you to marry me, not the other way around.” He told me, his blue eyes boring into mine. “I was the one who brought you here. I got you involved in all of this. It’s my duty to protect you from it, too. These people are brutal. They’ll do anything for news. Right now, the biggest news is that I want to marry you.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why do you want to marry me?” I asked him. “Why me?”

“Who else can I trust enough to marry? I’ve known you since the beginning of time, Bambi. Besides, I already explained all of it to you.” That’s what he always said. The way I saw it, Landon had barely explained anything to me, other than the fact that he wanted to marry me.

He knew I could never tell him no.

We’d known each other since we were kids. We never separated from each other until he was discovered online and got invited to L.A. Now, he was famous. He was a singer and an actor, and he wanted to marry her. Why? He’d already explained all of it to me, of course.

And I never saw any of this coming.

There was a sudden knock on the door and I saw Landon’s manager, Eduardo, poke his head inside. “Landon?”