Tough Luck

A.N

You better read the author's note at the bottom of this ;)

*Teagan*

Lights. A flash here and there, and then darkness again. Sometimes a face would be hovering above me when my eyes opened, but then warmth spread through my body and I saw black again.

When I next wake up I'm lying down and staring up at a white ceiling.

"Teagan? Teagan, are you awake?" A familiar voice asks with an urgent tone.

I sit up and spin toward the voice, noticing that I was in a small, square room with glass covering half of one wall. Aleks is sitting against the opposite wall with a bruised eye and a cut lip.

"What did they do to you?" I ask with growing anger.

"This is nothing." He waves it off and stands up.

"Who knows how many locks are on that door. We need to find another way out." He twists the doorknob to be sure before turning to the glass window that looked out into a hallway.

"There's no way. They're probably waiting at the end of the hall where we can't see them and waiting for us to break out." I stand up and move over to him, motioning to the window.

"Even if they are, worth a shot right?" He says with a sly grin that makes him look even more wild when paired up with his bloody lip and black eye.

If we weren't in such a serious situation I'd probably swoon right then and there and compare his looks to the love interest's in a novel I've read, but instead I push away the feeling in my stomach and study the window.

"If we apply lots of pressure to the corners it might soundlessly pop out." I conclude, running my fingers along the small crack where the window and wall met.

The sound of glass shattering makes me jump and look at the broken window with wide eyes.

"Or we could just do that." Aleks says whilst shaking glass bits off his hand.

An alarm begins to blare throughout the building, causing me to curse under my breath.

"Shit. We gotta go." He pushes me through the now empty hole in the wall and I grab his good arm to help him through once I'm in the hallway.

As soon as he's through, he grabs my hand and starts sprinting down the hall, taking the first left we come to.

Just after making the turn he comes to an abrupt stop and pulls me into an open closet beside him. Just in time, too, because a person I instantly recognize as Sam darts past us.

He quickly and quietly slides the door shut, making everything become dark, and begins patting his hand along the wall. I sit against the wall furthest from the door and pull my knees to my chest.

The ear-splitting alarm was still screeching through the building.

"Shouldn't we be trying to get out instead of hiding in a closet?" I whisper.

"Are you saying I should come out of the closet?" He whispers with an amused grin.

I roll my eyes. "Now isn't the time for jokes, Aleks."

"Just trying to lighten up the mood." He mumbles, continuing to feel the wall.

How did I end up here?

I would've had a normal - maybe not completely normal - life if I'd just listened to my grandma that night. Or would I still end up in this situation? What if The Creatures found me although I hadn't interrupted with a shipment?