Plain Cheese Pizza

Hayden propped his head up on the backseat window of Gail's small, navy blue Jaguar, watching quietly as the wooded hills sped by. This part of Tennessee was beautiful, unlike the busy city that his father spent his days in. Even though the Pike's lived in the suburbs, next to a large wooded park, it still didn't seem even half as beautiful as this.

He liked it here; it would be a pity to leave it. Well, he liked it better than where he normally was, but almost anything was an improvement compared to that. Even if "anything" was sitting and listening to Ava complain for 45 minutes in the car.

"And now I have to sit in a chair or a bed like a useless lump and be waited on for two months!" Ava was saying, probably for the fifth or sixth time. "How is this fair to me? Why should Snotface get to move on like nothing happened and I can't do anything! It's not fair!"

Life isn't fair, Hayden fought the urge to say. Not that you know anything about real life. You're just a spoiled little rich girl used to getting her way. You'll probably never know the meaning of unfairness.

"Ava, sweetheart," Gail soothed. "I will contact Sam's parents. Just relax. Now, you might remember that I have a conference meeting tonight. I tried to postpone, but unfortunately, I cannot. I will have to leave you by yourself tonight."

"I don't care," Ava shrugged. "I have toothpick back there to help me."

Hayden cringed.

"Ava! Apologize to Hayden!"

"Sorry," she grumbled, flipping down the visor to inspect her mascara in the mirror.

"I expect it to be a sincere apology, young lady. Now turn around and try again."

Ava huffed and turned around to face him, scowling. "I'm sorry," she said again, in fake remorse. She did sound sincere, but her expression said otherwise.

Hayden knew better than to bring it to Gail's attention, though. "That's okay," he mumbled, refusing to make eye contact with her. It wouldn't be the first time he'd been called a "toothpick;" he certainly wasn't the meatiest boy his age. What did it matter? When they got home, he'd never have to worry about Ava again. He wouldn't have to worry about anyone ever again. 

They finally pulled into the long, gravel driveway and stopped in front of the door. Before anyone had the chance to help her, Ava opened her door and crutched up the steps to the house. Hayden followed slowly, but was stopped.

"Hayden," Gail called after him. "If I don't leave now I'll be late for my meeting. Just tell Ava I'll be back as soon as I can, but it's a two and a half hour drive both ways. The maids can help her with anything she needs."

"I'll tell her," Hayden nodded, turning around and walking through the door. He was surprised to find Ava standing in the entryway, leaning on her crutches with an annoyed expression.

"What took you so long?" She demanded.

"Your mom asked me to-"

"You know what, I don't really care. Just come on." She haltingly led him through the living room and away from the stair that led to her bedroom.

"But...your bedroom is that way," Hayden stuttered, confused.

"I know, stupid. I'm not going to my bedroom." She rounded the corner and pointed to a narrow door. "Open that."

Hayden obeyed, wondering where it led. A staircase, going down, appeared. It was hard to tell what was at the bottom since the room was completely dark. Ava flicked a light switch up, illuminating the room at the base, she started down slowly. He followed, unsure of what else he should do.