Broken Hearts

Broken Hearts

Cassie's stopped coughing completely as soon as she grasped the situation. I caught her eye over Lucy’s right shoulder, and hoped my shocked face didn’t match hers. I looked back to Tristan, and that was the wrong thing to do, his gaze sank into mine as he stood still as a statue making my knees go weak.

“You’re so late Tristan” Lucy pouted whilst batting her eyes at him. His eyes stayed locked with mine though, as Lucy, obviously happy to see him continued, “this is Avalyn” if I wasn’t plainly mistaken this was the man Lucy had fallen hopelessly in love with on her trip back to Sydney. She then pointed briefly at Cassie, “and her sister Cassie, they are the entertainment tonight, Mother surprised me. You’ve already missed most of Avalyn's performance though. And ladies, this is Lieutenant Bonnette.” She quickly looked back and forth from me to Tristan, when she noticed he was starring at me. I thought I should say something, to make her feel a bit better about his rudeness, but she didn’t give me chance even if I wanted to. Because she then spun her head around again and looked over her shoulder to Cassie “are you going to be alright? Maybe we could cut the next set down.” I wasn’t sure if she were put out with Tristan’s response to her, or if she was genuinely done with introductions and wanted to get on with the party.

Cassie’s head slowly started to bob in agreement, she still looked so stunned. Lucy stuck out her hand, seeming to over look my sister’s non responsive state and took her arm as she, let go of Tristan’s. I tore my eyes away from Cassie’s, to where Lucy’s arm was seconds ago wrapped around Tristan’s arm, and the room started to tip slightly as I watched her most affectionately give his elbow a little squeeze when her hand finally slipped out. That small action, along with the cheek patting spoke worlds to me of how close she felt she was to the man I thought was in love with me.

Looking back to Tristan’s face to find that he was still watching me almost made my weakened knees buckle from under the weight I suddenly felt on my shoulders. I took a small step sideways to the table housing the drinks to steady myself. Lucy was already leading Cassie out of the room, and I wanted so badly to go with them, but my feet wouldn’t move. I reached over to put my other hand down on the table top, to support myself, but I missed my mark and before I knew it, I was trying to catch myself from falling flat on the floor.

“Avalyn” Tristan said as he quickly reached for me.

“Don’t touch me Tristan.” I said, practically hissing the words at him. I was mad now, mad and humiliated.

“Why didn’t you meet me last Friday?” I turned my head to him and tried to give him my most vicious glare.

“I was here like I said, earning money.”

“You didn’t tell me about singing here”

“I don’t have to tell you anything so it seems.” I stood up straight and dared to look him in the eye while willing my hands to stop shaking as I smoothed the skirt of my dress.

“It’s not what you think Avalyn.” I saw his hand reach out toward me, to touch my eye, but I pulled my head out of his reach.

“Don’t touch me Tristan; I’ve had to listen to that woman, whom I actually like, talk about the love of her life all afternoon, and to my surprise that happens to be you!” I could feel the tears coming, and I forced myself with all I had left in me, to stop them. My heart was breaking, and I didn’t want that to happen in front of him. “Was I just a play thing, someone you could groom to be...to be what Tristan?”

“No Avalyn, listen to me.”

“No!” I said a little more loudly than necessary, and I watched un repentantly as he looked over my shoulder, to see if I had attracted any attention. “Did you think that because I have no home, beg for food, and have no one to speak for me that I can be played like a…like a…like a puppet. I’m sorry you got so far just to be caught out.”