14.

NOEL WAS going to change

It wasn't for Ron's benefit, or his mom's, or people at his school, or Cheryl or May, or even Myron.

It was for him.

After Ron had left, Noel refused to let himself become a wreck. He contemplated telling his mom about what had happened but he wasn't sure how to bring it up, Noel didn't want to think about the wedding, or the baby or the slap.

He wanted to think about himself.

Come Monday morning, he had brought out his new clothes and decided to wear an oversized yellow sweater, black denim overalls and black trainers. He had slathered his hair with curl mousse, so for once his curls were actually defined and spiraling in a perfect concave on top of his head. His reflection looked back at him, his pimples taunting him almost, but Noel forced himself to look past them. For once he could actually see the colour of his eyes peeking through, that it startled him.

He never knew they were that blueish green.

He brought out his phone and stuck his earphones inside before playing Lovesick by Mura Musa. This was the longest time it had taken for him to get ready that someone was pounding his door.

"Hey! Pizzaface!" It was Cheryl. "Your mom said you need to come downstairs or you'll be late to school, what are you doing in there?" Cheryl had rudely pushed open the door to Noel's room, before her jaw went slack at Noel's appearance.

Noel said nothing, pushing past Cheryl before bounding down the stairs with a surprise jolt in his step. On his way to the front door, his mom was dressed in her work clothes with her handbag slung against her shoulder, Ron was downing an energy drink carefully, clad menacingly in his business suit while clutching a heavy leather satchel.

They both turned to stare at Noel in shock, his bright sunny appearance a bitter contrast to how he usually portrayed himself. His mom dumped her hand bag down and swanned her way towards Noel, her slender fingers cupping Noel's face.

"You look beautiful." Her voice was quiet and articulate, her eyes tracing Noel's face, hair and clothes.

"Mom, I have to go to school." Noel deadpanned, yet his voice almost broke off at the end.