The Tower (Qualifying entry)

The shit always hits the fan just as I'm about to start relaxing. There I was, just getting my bonsai collection nice and neat for the party when suddenly the biggest noise starts running through my room.

I knew what that sound meant. It was the sound of little dust particles hitting against a tin can. This sweet, little, rust bucket floating out in the middle of nowhere. The place we were all living and dying in.

More precisely we the ones up top doing the living while those below were the ones busy with the dying.

The gate keeping us separated from those below hadn't opened in centuries even though we've had riots like these before. We weren't planning to open it in the future either.

I took my time getting to the meeting hall. We called it that even if all we did in it was argue. They were still going at it by the time I got there but it was starting to turn stale.

"I think we should get rid of the them and sterilize the rest. Its pathetic how they breed like vermin."

Vermin being a word which the meaning of had long since been forgotten.

"That isn't right, treating humans like that! We still have plenty of food left why don't we share some of it with them, you know, to appease them for the moment."

Unsustainable, the privileged had more food correct. Food of a better quality true, but it wasn't nearly enough to feed the masses below. It would only inflame them into demanding more.

"Maybe we should talk with them, get them to reach an agreement?"

This was from the youngest member of the privileged. He was as innocent as a new born calf, whatever that was.

The meaning of the words where gone, but the saying remained.

"Why are we always arguing. When we know that we inevitably go to the Overseer in any case."

Because the problem couldn't be solved either way, it was the perfect opportunity to ask for the Overseer's assistance.

"It's all about control for them. They argue because they feel they have to have a use" Said the man standing besides her.

Had I been mumbling? That was embarrassing.

After a while they agreed that they were getting nowhere, It was time to see the Overseer.

We gathered at another room, taking our places around a cube that sat in the center. It threw a soft glow over the walls.

"Welcome. Have you come for answers?"

"What should we do with the humans. Their causing a racket."

"Their causing more than that I'm afraid. Not long now."

A bang shook the room.

"Seems they have developed explosives." The Overseer informed us nonchalantly. "The choice is yours. Either wait for death that is sure to come or release the guardians."

That would solve the problem, It would wipe whole lot of them out alright, every single one.

Gods can be tolerant, until you threaten their existence.