Chapter ?

A sea of faces stare up at me. I just stand there, my feet glued to the ground. Someone is talking, but I don't know what they're saying.

"Irene Johnson will be preforming ----------"

I suddenly snap out of it. I scan the crowd, looking for my mother's face. Of course I can't find it. "It's fifty thousand people!" I yell at myself in my head.

"Irene?" Says the announcer. He actually looks worried. I take a deep breath, and head towards the piano. Once I sit down, I feel extremely uncomfortable. The piano is too unfamiliar, the bench to hard and smooth. "Oh well," is my only thought.

I start to play. My hands slide across the keys that are too heavy under my fingers. My voice echoes in the room that's much too large. And I feel wonderful. My singing, smooth as silk. My fingers fly across the keys.

And all to soon, I'm finished. Noise erupts in my ears, loud as a hurricane. I can't believe I did it! And they are all cheering for me. I take a bow, and everything after that is a blur.

I go backstage, pack up, listen to the other performers. Their voices capture the melody perfectly, and their music is... magical. There's no way I'll ever beat them.

But I don't care. Not anymore.