Chapter 7

“Wait here, miss,” said the officer from the guard. Then he left.

Bridget moved forward a few steps and considered her surroundings. The digital library was not a place she visited often. It had a vaulted ceiling a hundred feet high, supported by thick pillars. The walls were covered by wooden shelves, full of glass squares for electronic storage, and at the center stood countless bookshelves containing printed relics. On both sides of each bookshelf was a wooden table containing a search terminal, and seats that floated off the ground. At the back were private cubicles protected by soundproof plexiglass, each one with a couch, a desk, and a virtual screen.

Bridget wondered why William had asked to meet him here. She had two days left out of the five the doctor had recommended after fainting, but Bridget had excelled at her homework, that were punctually sent to her through Annie. Did he want to warn her about a change in her classes, or maybe talk to her about the exams she had left pending in her absence?

Even though rest was boring, she didn’t feel like going back to the classroom. Annie and Paty had told her about the comments that her passing out had raised among the students, even if what had happened to Paty had partly diverted the attention from her, diluting her protagonism. She had not only been turned into the week’s fun fact, they had eaten her alive! And they didn’t stop until they could use her remains as toothpicks.

On the other hand, during her sick days, her debate team had dedicated itself to systematically losing to powerful opponents like Annie, Paty and Tiffany. Which meant that she would find an abysmal disadvantage in the competition’s scores once she went back, practically impossible to save. And the unfair defeat would be frustrating.

Fun fact: William had not visited her while she recovered, even though Bridget racked her brain for the lesson that the elder wanted to convey with his reaction, if there was one. She could only conclude that, a) not going to the doctor and letting time pass when you felt ill was counterproductive; b) taking objects without permission was more dangerous than it seemed; and c) one humiliating moment was better than five days sentenced to Daphne Britter’s excessive care, if it entailed Annie’s jealousy. But she knew all of this from before. She did learn the importance of adding several hidden pockets to her clothes for her ProCom, and a high-calorie snack in case of an emergency.

What worried her was Paty’s behaviour. Ever since Bridget had fainted, her friend looked at her suspiciously, though she had chosen not to comment on whatever was bothering her. Paty hadn’t said anything about the incident on the balcony either, even if the adults still debated about it in private.

She walked a few more steps and heard a murmur. A male voice spat incomprehensible words. Since she didn’t want to interfere in other people’s business, took the first book she found, looked for a seat as far away as she could find, and sat down to look through it.

“It’s over. Be grateful you are not being cut off or disowned. You are going to Startos, and that is my last word,” she heard suddenly. Right then, she knew it was Terriuce and his father, again.

Am I doomed to know about every detail in his life?

“And you will be punished. I cannot believe I have to apologize to the Queen because my son and his stupid cub bothered one of the Britter girls.”

“What?” replied the boy.

What? thought Bridget at the same time.

“Do not interrupt me. Luckily it didn’t get much worse. Just so you know, they are one of the most important families in the planet, as much as the one that gave you your last name,” bellowed the father. “Ah, here comes Wiseman William, behave.”