Chapter 4

I managed to run through several blocks all in a full sprint before I finally slowed in front of one of the bigger hotels in the area. I let the girl off my back as I caught my breath but kept moving off the main street and into the alleyway.

"I think we lost them," I said, still breathing heavily.

"I hope so," was the girl's response as she sat herself down on a trash bin. She looked just as winded as I was and all she had to do was hold on.

All that running took a lot out of me. But now that I had time I felt like I had to get answers. Figured I might as well ask the bigger questions in my head. "Were you the one watching me last night?"

The question surprised her and she looked up at me before looking away. "Yes. How did you know?"

"That's what I was hoping you'd be able to tell me. I get these weird sensations whenever I pass by your house or whatever. And I used that to find you when you were hiding in the store. Care to explain?"

"I... I don't know? I was scared and I was hiding. That's all." she responded with a look of genuine confusion. Great. No real answer.

"Well then how the hell did you know I was a Dark mage? Not even my parents know and I haven't even bothered with it since I found out about it like... almost ten years ago!"

She seemed to struggle for an explanation but her answer was the same. "I don't know. I just knew you were one of us. I was able to sense the Dark element within you and figured it was best if we both worked together to-"

"I am NOT one of you. Do NOT associate me with those criminals."

She looked quite offended by what I said and the girl frowned at me, crossing her arms at me as if I just took the last cookie from the jar. "Do I look like a criminal to you?"

"I'm sorry, how old are you?"

"Eight."

"You aren't talking like an eight-year-old," I said, cocking an eyebrow.

"That doesn't matter. You're like the rest of us Dark Magi."

"No I am not. I'm just a normal person! I'm not a murderer or a thief or... or a-"

"The same goes for the majority of those captured by the authorities. They were wronged. We have to get out of here or else we'll suffer the same fate."

Was she being serious? Just get up and leave? What about the barrier over every district? "I can't! I have my family, my friends... What about them?"

"What about them? Your Gifted friend didn't seem too happy about what you were doing."

She was right. But where do I go from here? I couldn't just leave, not without saying goodbye to my parents at least. This was happening way too fast. And now I can hear sirens again.

"Come on. We gotta keep moving," I said, offering her to get on my back again.

"Good evening, Donny," I heard someone call out at the other end of the alleyway. It was a voice that I've naturally grown to dread and when I turned to look, I saw just the guy I didn't want to run into: Dmitri Teller, Lucas' older brother. He was a man in his late 20s. 28 I believe. He had flowing blond hair and deep blue eyes, just like his little brother and was just a little bit taller. He was the youngest Lieutenant of the Emperor's 1st Cavalry Division. I didn't know what the hell that meant but I've never seen him ride a horse around as the name suggests. He was wearing his military officer's uniform: a white coat and pants with green and gold trimmings. The emblem of his division hung off the right shoulder and badges of honor flashed brilliantly under the alleyway light as he walked under it. He was unarmed save for his decorative saber at his side—at least I hoped it was a decorative piece.