Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

chapter 2 - world

Kara

"Good morning!" I chirped as soon as I opened the front door to my house. I could still feel the hot, hungry kiss Cameron gave me just a couple of minutes ago before he drove away.

I heard before I spotted my dad and Dylan eating breakfast at the kitchen island.

"Mornin', kiddo. How was work?"

I took my time putting away my things—hung my purse then coat in the closet, shoes in the rack, making sure they were lined up properly, keys in the bowl. My palms were sweating. I wiped them on my dress, then sucked in a breath when I saw how wrinkled my dress was. I snatched my coat in the closet and put it on again.

"Work was great," I sang.

I knew my dad was asking about my night shift, but technically, I did work yesterday at The Yard. He didn't know that I spent the night with Cameron.

"Good. Amazing," I added.

I was acting natural. Totally. They wouldn't know I was hiding something. I was good at lying. I could probably fool even the lie detector test.

"I enjoyed work yesterday." Last one for good measure. Like a nail to the coffin. I knew they'd buy it.

I didn't give them a chance to ask any more questions and went straight to my room.

Why the hell am I so nervous?

I'd been out all night before—sometimes for work or with friends. I shouldn't feel an ounce of guilt, I told myself as I got out of my clothes and changed into a hoodie and jeans. My dad hadn't even given me the birds and the bees talk. I'd like to think that was because there hadn't been the need for one since...I was born. Not even when family friends started setting me up on dates.

My dad knew I was a responsible human being and I could talk to him about anything. So what was different now?

Because this time it mattered, I realized as I brushed my hair and looked at my pink cheeks in the mirror. This time it meant a great deal. It was unfamiliar ground and I didn't want to be reckless and make the wrong moves. What should I do about it?

Nothing yet, I decided as I applied a little mascara and lip gloss. Time will tell. When I stepped out of my room, my dad was already bringing his plate to the sink.

"Gotta open shop," he said when he saw me. "Get some sleep, Kara. You're probably tired from work. I saved you some pizza in the fridge."

That guilt again. It was supposed to be pizza night last night with them. "I can help today," I offered.

"Not after last night, you won't."

I swallowed loudly. "Last night?"

Was it my imagination or did my dad flinch?

"You must be exhausted from work. I asked Charity last night if she can help today. Get some sleep," he said, looking distracted.

Wait a minute...my dad knew a lot of people in and out of province. If he ran for mayor, he'd probably win. What if one of his friends saw me and told him where I was last night?

This was one of the reasons why I didn't want anyone to know about me and Cameron yet. I didn't know how to bring it up to my dad. I didn't know how he would react. My family had been the center of my entire life from the beginning, and now...something unexpected appeared.

Everyone had a place in my life—like pieces in a big puzzle. I knew exactly where they fit. And then suddenly there was Cameron. Big, bold, and intense. He didn't fit with any of the old pieces, but somehow, the picture now felt incomplete without him.

icon lock

Show your support for Isabelle Ronin, and continue reading this story

by Isabelle Ronin
@isabelleronin
Kara Hawthorne refuses to fall in love until the brooding Cameron cra...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 31 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @isabelleronin.