9

The flight to England was exhausting for Rose, but the amenities of Howard Stark's private jet definitely did make her almost forget that she was in an airplane on her way closer to battle

The flight to England was exhausting for Rose, but the amenities of Howard Stark's private jet definitely did make her almost forget that she was in an airplane on her way closer to battle. It was around midnight when they landed in London. Rose, Howard and Peggy went straight to the classified sleeping quarters near the S.S.R. base they would be going to the next morning. Peggy and Rose shared a sleeping quarter while Howard slept next door.

The two girls unpacked their trunks; transferring their folded clothing into chests that sat at the foot of their beds.

"I have been meaning to ask you, Rose," Peggy said, in her thick British accent, as she placed a stack of folded skirts into her trunk. "You claim you're assisting Howard Stark in his work while you are here. I can't help but think that there is a more compelling reason he chose you."

Rose sighed with a small smile on her face. "I am sure there is no other reason. Howard is just being kind because I am friends with Steve."

A grin spread across Peggy's face. "I know Mister Stark — he's interested in you for some reason. You are quite lovely of a person, but when he likes women, he usually only likes them for one night."

Rose picked up on what Peggy was implying and giggled at how it made so much sense as to why he was acting flirty towards Rose; that's just who he is around women.

"Peggy, I've never had a girl friend before." Rose said, taking a break from her unpacking to sit on her bed and face the top of Peggy's head as she continued to stuff blazers into her trunk.

Peggy shut her trunk and locked it before looking up at Rose. "Really?" She stated more than asked.

"Yes," Rose sighed. "I've only ever had Steve and Bucky."

"Ah, Sergeant Barnes." Peggy smiled. "Steve has spoken very fondly of him as he did you."

Rose smiled, a rosy color hinted on her cheeks. "They mean everything to me."

Peggy smiled, pleased with how close she was to her friends, wishing she could have something similar. The job she had took too much from her, she couldn't have close friends just for their lives to be put in danger.

"I'm glad to hear you all have a great relationship." Peggy said. "It's rare to find those, but keeping them is a lot more difficult. I'm happy for you."

Rose sat down on Peggy's bed to be closer to her and softly placed a hand over her free one. "I know I've never experienced war before, but I know that you have been the only woman working on the frontlines. It must be lonely."

Peggy freed her other hand from holding a cloth to sandwich Rose's hand between her own two. "Yes, it is quite lonely. But now I have you."

Rose giggled. "I was going to say that."

Peggy eyes lingered on Rose's face — she never took time to see how young the woman actually looked. Peggy grinned and patted Rose's hand that was enveloped in her own. "We should probably get going. Howard must be expecting us," Rose reminded. Peggy nodded.