Chapter 43 - Hunter's POV

When we landed, I called the phone company and got my number changed so Sam couldn't call me. I knew if I were to see her name on my screen, I would pick up instantly. Once that was done, I got off the plane and looked around. I thanked the pilots and the flight attendants. My mother was there waiting for me. Once I was on the ground, she ran up to me and engulfed me in a hug. "Oh, Hunter, I missed you so much." My mom said to me. I hardly doubt that, but I chose not to say anything.

I hugged her back, almost crying. "I missed you too, mom."

"So, do you want to talk to me about what happened for you to skip town?"

"No, mom. I really just want to go home. I want to get some sleep. Please, mom."

"Fine, Hunter. But you will be talking to me about this eventually."

"Eventually, I will. Until then, just let me do what I have to do."

"Oh, my baby boy, you're not okay, are you?"

I started to walk back to the car where the driver greeted me. I took a deep breath, trying to get my emotions under control. "I'll be fine, mom. Really. I just need some time."

We both got in the car and the driver started to drive to wherever we were staying. "Since you're here in Connecticut with us, your father would like you to start attending the meetings he has here to start learning about the business."

"Fine, whatever."

"You don't seem okay with that, sweetie."

"Why should I be? Neither of you want to spend time with me! You just want to train me to take over the company so then you guys can fuck off wherever again. Except this time, it'll be without the responsibilities of having to run a company."

"Hunter, don't speak to me like that."

I know I was taking my shit out on her, but honestly, I've been holding all this in for a while. It's not like she was there to teach me right from wrong, I had to learn that all by myself and I still managed to fuck everything up. "Tell me I'm wrong mom! Tell me you want to spend time with me, you want to know about my grad year and how I was doing back home. Tell me you didn't leave me at home to fend for myself to be with dad as he does his work here."

"Hunter," my mother warned.

"I was a kid, mom! As soon as I was old enough to be watched by nannies you fucked off to be with dad. I understand dad, but you? Really? I needed my mom. I needed my mom to be there, to raise me right and to help me through life. You weren't there." You weren't there to stop me from hurting Sam.

"Hunter, I'm sorry you felt I wasn't there for you, but I was a phone call away, always. If you needed me that bad you could have asked me to come home." My mom replied, calmly.

"I shouldn't have to call and ask you to come home! I shouldn't have to ask you to be a mother to me! You should want to be my mother. You should want to be there for me and to love me unconditionally."

We pulled up to our hotel and I got out of the car not even waiting for her to respond. Was I that bad of a person, my own mother didn't want to be around me? I shook the thought off and walked into the hotel and straight up to the front desk. There were two female receptionists. One was a bit older and one was my age. Once I got one of the girls, who was checking me out, attention, she started to check me in. The old me would have hopped on that and used it to my advantage. But I had my mind set on one female, no matter how hard I tried to shake it. So, I decided to snap at her instead. "My name is Hunter Thomas, I would like one of your best rooms."

The girl looked at me in shock but hurried to get done what I asked her. I guess she didn't know who I was. It's not like I hid myself, people knew I was the famous son of one Mr. Oliver Thomas. I guess the people here just didn't know my face. When she was done, she handed me my room card, "You're in room 525, one of the best rooms in the building, sir. You're on the fifth floor."

"Thank you," I replied. "Until further notice, I do not want to be disturbed by anyone for any reason. If you fail to grant this request, you will be fired. Do you understand me?" I turned to look at my mother and she was watching me in horror.

Perks of having a famous last name and owning this hotel. I turned back to the receptionist "Do you understand?" I asked her again.

"Yes, sir." She replied, nervously.

"Good," I replied. I walked away to the elevator, not even glancing back at my mother. If she wants me to start training to take over, fine. Everyone will learn not to fuck around with Hunter Thomas.

Maybe I was more fucked up then I thought. I smirked at the thought of that. Being fucked up couldn't be so bad, could it?

I'm starting to think having no feelings is better than having feelings. With no feelings, you won't get hurt. With no feelings, you can protect your heart from breaking. Right now, my heart was breaking, and I missed Sam so much. I kept trying to remind myself why I left, but I just wanted to go back and be with the girl I loved.

I walked into my hotel room locking the door. I knew my mother would tell my father what I said to her, and I didn't want to be yelled at by him right now.

I walked into my room, not even bothering to look around. I went straight to my bed and laid down on it. I stared at the wall above me, not thinking about anything. Just staring at the ceiling, not daring focusing on the thoughts that threatened to take over my mind.