Chapter 29

While the witches had their sleepover, Sam met Felicity in her office. The headmistress welcomed him in.

“May I please have the cellphone to call my parents?” Sam asked.

“Of course,” Felicity replied. She reached in the drawer of her desk for the phone and handed it to him.

“I hope the girls and Miles are having a good time,” Sam continued.

“I’m sure they are. They haven’t had a sleepover in a while, but they used to all the time.”

“I guess we’ll know in the morning. Thanks for the phone.”

“No problem, Sam. Just bring it back when you’re done,” she said, looking down at paperwork on her desk.

Sam hung back for a second, hesitating. “Actually, I had something to ask you,” Sam started.

“Sure, what is it?” Felicity looked up to Sam.

“My parents wanted to talk to you,” Sam said.

“What about?”

“They wanted to ask if they could visit, someday soon.” Sam realized his request was a big one, but he figured he had to try.

“You know, that's lot to ask,” Felicity responded, sinking back in her lavish leather chair. “I know I said I would consider it. But we don't usually allow lay people in the compound at all, unless they are bound to us. Having them visit and then leave could be dangerous for us. Our secrets could be released into the wild.”

“For what it's worth, my family is very trustworthy,” Sam tried, but he knew there would not be much convincing her.

“I’m sure you would think so. But I have to take into consideration their interests. If our coven were to collapse, you would be free to return to them.”

Sam pondered her words. He never imagined his family could be such a threat. “They would not want to cause harm to Miles. They care about him, too.”

“Surely, less than they do you,” Felicity said as she tapped her desk with her sharp, manicured nails. “I will have to think about this. Perhaps I could talk to them some other time. For tonight, just enjoy their company.”

A little dejected, but not surprised, Sam stepped out of the office and back to his room, where he dialed for his parents. He held up the phone to capture his face, which was looking back at him in the corner of the screen, while the call dialed. Finally, his dad picked up.

“Sam!” James said, smiling brightly. “It’s nice to see you.”

“It’s nice to see you, too,” Sam replied.

“Is that Sam?” He heard his mother’s voice in the distance.

“Yes, come over here,” James replied. “Tabitha,” he called for his daughter, “your brother’s on the phone.”

Father and son waited while Dorothy and Tabitha rushed over. Finally, their faces appeared on Sam’s screen, shuffling for a moment so they could all fit.

“Hey Mom,” Sam said, “hey Tabitha.”

“How are you, Sam?” Dorothy asked.

“I’m doing okay,” Sam replied. “Same old, same old.” He found there was not much going on at the witches’ compound. His days were more of the same. “I get up in the morning, and serve breakfast, and I clean up around the mansion. And then, I serve lunch and dinner.”

“You’re doing more chores than you did at home,” Dorothy joked, before chuckling just a little.

Sam rolled his eyes with a smile. “I suppose.”