Chapter 2

2

“The entrance to Isarii is inside the enchanted forest?” asked Arthur, the young swordsman

“It is not inside the enchanted forest my dear; it is just upon the Oak tree.” Queen Nevaneh replied, as she guided her hand towards the tree in front of her. “She must lay her hands on the trunk, and whisper to it after midnight to gain entry. It is the only way for her to find Isarii.” she turned to face Arthur, before setting herself down on a rock before the edge of the forest. She smoothed her dark green and gold gown over her thighs before speaking again. “It will not be tonight. She is not truly ready for what she was born to do.”

“My Queen, how will we know when she is ready?” asked the young woman who alerted Queen Nevaneh about the forest the previous night. Nevaneh turned a little to her right to look at the young woman.

“It will snow. And it will not stop until her quest ends.”

Upon this being said, Arthur looked up into the night sky. It was a beautiful deep blue, and millions of tiny starts were shining. The moon tonight was large, and lit up the castle a little way away from the forest. The shadow of the tallest tower where Queen Nevaneh had watched him practise beamed down the lane leading to where the trio were sitting. Snow was coming. He could feel it in the air, but he couldn’t be sure when it would reach Isarii. He hoped Cass would be here soon otherwise this beautiful land would be gone.

                                                                        *

When she woke, it was eight thirty in the morning. Cass was solid again, and was curled up in a ball on her bed. Not remembering when she fell asleep, she slowly opened her eyes to the rays of sunshine trying to escape from the gap at the bottom of the closed flowery curtains. The room was spinning, and she felt nauseous. Closing her eyes again, she was disturbed only minutes later by her father, checking to see if she was awake.

“Hey chick, how are you feeling?” he asked softly, as he set a cup down on the bedside table.

“Nauseous - dizzy - tired. You know - the usual.” She replied slowly

Thomas stroked her blonde hair away from her eyes.

“I know. We’ve got to be on the road before nine thirty remember? I thought I’d let you sleep in. Your bags are already set downstairs. All you’ve got to do is have a shower, get in some fresh clothes and get in the car. I told Alex to make some sandwiches for the road.”

Cass groaned

“Is that an ‘I don’t want to get up yet’ groan or an ‘I don’t want to eat what Alex makes’ groan?” Thomas asked, laughing a little.

“It’s a bit of both.” Cass said as she sat up; the dizziness had subsided a little. She reached for the cup which contained fresh orange juice. It always helped her after she ‘disappeared’.

“See you downstairs in a hour.” said Thomas, as he kissed Cass’s forehead and left her room.

Cass showered, dressed in her favourite olive green jeans, with a cream top and converse, completing her outfit with her locket of course. She styled her long blonde hair into a plait down the middle of her back, before checking she had everything she needed for the trip. She made her way downstairs, and met her brother in the kitchen.

“Hey squirt.” Cass teased, and she ruffled Alex’s hair and opened the door to the fridge.

“Dad said you can’t call me that anymore.” Alex replied, as he shook his short blonde/brown hair back into place.