№2:

Everyone was up by seven o'clock at the latest.

I had thrown on a loose mesh tank top over my sports bra when I got back to Lucy and I's cabin. I had bid Augustus good luck, because I knew that he wasn't as well equipped to handle social interaction as I was, and this year, he was in charge of a bunch of teens that would look to him for advice and comfort. The same went for me, Lucy, and Harvey, who couldn't have been more excited to help others.

"When's your first group?" Lucy asked, bending forward to toss her hair into a ponytail on top of her head.

I glanced at my schedule, "In about a half an hour." I pulled my shirt down a bit more, glancing in front of the mirror. "Do I look old enough to be a counselor? Do you think they'll listen to me?" I asked.

I had always looked like I could be forever twelve years old. My eyes were too wide and my cheeks too blotchy and I could never seem to get rid of a pimple that had embedded itself into my forehead. My bones were thin and I had almost no chest. Granted, my body was toned and was able to do what I wanted it to do. I still needed to put on some more weight according to my doctor, who said that for someone of my age, 120lbs. was too light. He said that I would break if something ever happened, like a car accident or an attack.

"I think you'll do fine. You're loud enough to be heard and you're smart enough to be listened to. Plus, these kids just want someone to be there and help them. It'll be easy." said Lucy as she applied some eyeliner to the rim of her upper lid.

"I hope so."

When I said goodbye to Lucy, I jogged down to one of the activity centers, the one that would become part of my system for a good two months. Here, in the linoleum floored auditorium of sorts, I would help kids feel good physically and mentally with themselves. There was a list of different activities I was certified to teach via Margie, who paid for me to go to the classes I needed to go to.

I wanted to decorate the place to be somewhere that screamed "motivation" and "success" so that the kids would come back. I knew that not all of them would like it, that this first day was experimental, but tomorrow I would have my permanent group to look out for. I was only seventeen, not quite old enough to be responsible for myself, but Margie trusted me. She expected me to do well, to help these teens to become better and happier and more excited about life. I only hoped that I would be able to do that.

The first group of campers, about fifteen in total, walked through the glass doors at about eight thirty. They were all dressed in gym shorts or yoga leggings, sports bras and t-shirts, loose baggy clothing. They all looked uncomfortable and nervous and lost, like they didn't know if they were in the right place.

After a few awkward moments of silence, I decided to speak, "Hi guys. I'm Winnie, and I'm in charge of physical therapy, classes, etcetera with my friend Augustus. He's leading a group on a hike at the moment but he'll join us tomorrow."

None of them spoke or made a move to sit down or anything. They just shifted their weight from one foot to another. It reminded me of high school, how a teacher would ask a question and everyone would do everything in their power to not be called on.

I clasped my hands together, "Alright, why don't we sit down. I thought maybe we could start the hour off with a game of sorts." I grabbed a rubber ball from the basket near the stage and walked back over to the circle of chairs I had set up before the campers came in. They were all sitting now, but still they looked like they were just dunked in ice water, all stiff and expressionless.

There was one girl with dark red hair that I thought I saw blink at one point, but I couldn't tell since they were all so stoic.

"Alright the game is simple. We're all going to stand up for a friendly game of catch. I have the ball so I will tell you a few things about myself such as my name, age, the reason I came to Camp Recovery, something I like. You don't have to tell us why you're here, but it could be helpful for me and your peers. When you're done, you toss it to someone else. Once you've tossed it, you can sit back down so we know who's left." I got a couple of nods from kids, even a few hums of acknowledgement.