Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

  I threw my coat into my locker and grabbed my first period books; History of Mygek. The words nearly made me nauseous. It’s not like I’m opposed to learning or anything of the such, I actually enjoy it, it was just my teacher . . . . Mr. D. I never made an attempt to remember his full name because it was waaaay to long and extremely complicated. He was the worst teacher in the school. Not one of the students liked him. We weren’t sure if it was because of his boringness and stupidity or of his all around inability to actually teach.

I stalked off to class, already in a bad mood. I walked in and set my history book and notebook on my desk and walked over to Kirklyne, who was, as usual, chatting off her Saedrin’s, her boyfriend, head. He stood there and listened to her patiently, a faint smile on his face. It took a lot to deal with Kirklyne’s chattiness, and most boys that she went out with never called her back. Saedrin had asked her out three months ago and ever since then, they were practically joined at the hip, Kirklyne’s chattiness and all. I knew Kirklyne didn’t know, but that boy was obviously in love with her, and not to mention I was pretty sure that was the only way anyone could deal with her, me included.

“Hey, Lyne, hey, Sae,” I said. Kirklyne turned around and nearly tackled me when she saw me. She was nearly about to burst.

“Sony! I missed you soooo much!” she squealed. I laughed,

“I just saw you yesterday though!”

“I know, I know, but I just love you soooo much! I would die without you!” she cried. She had her arms around me and was practically using me to hold herself up, making me laugh even harder.

“Get up, you dork. How was you and Sae’s date last night?” I asked, hoping to distract her. It worked. She nearly jumped ten feet in the air out of excitement.

“It was so much fun! Did I ever tell you how much I just adore aquariums? I mean, I miss fish so much and they are just so beautiful! I love it there!” she sighed happily. This wasn’t surprising to anyone seeing as Kirklyne was half water nymph, half human. You could distinctly tell by her gills on her neck, he partially webbed fingers and her sea blue fin like ears. One time I asked her how she breathed above water and all she had answered with was “I have no idea . . .” and then went into an extremely deep thinking time.

“Yes, I know,” I said smiling, since she had told me bazillions of times before.

“Next time you have to go! It is so much fun! Right Sae?” she turned to Sae who had been watching her amused.  He just nodded and smiled a knowing smile, making Kirklyne grin. I was pretty sure Kirklyne loved him back, but neither of them knew it. Sae was a really quiet, not shy, just quiet, thoughtful, and patient and that was exactly what Kirklyne needed. They were perfect for each other. They were like two matching pieces of a puzzle. I, on the other hand, was not so fortunate. The man I wanted to be my “perfect-other-half” didn’t exactly match me like Kirklyne and Saedrin did. Frankly, Nolan was the most unreachable person in my life. Romantically anyway. I sighed first out of sadness, then out of content as Kirklyne and Saedrin had fallen into a silent conversation, using only their eyes to communicate. I laughed inwardly at their romantically sappy moment and then started looking around the room.

My eyes caught everything. Being able to read lips made for the perfect “gossip-catching” chances, but gossip wasn’t really my thing. It was interesting to know, but I never spread it. My eyes fell prey to a group of boys towards the back of the room. They were Maroonsin and his friends. All six of them hung out in the back, sitting on desks, imitating funny things they had seen recently, all normal stuff.

I watched as they laughed and listened to one of the guys as he retold a funny story about how someone had blown up a rat in his Warlock Training class. They all laughed as he described the look on the boys face after he had blown it up.