Chapter FOUR: Brother Maven De Godefroy

"This has been a long journey and we are nearly there. It will be something that you will remember and tell your family for generations to come-,” Brother Maven De Godefroy

The year is 1117 and Brother Maven De Godefroy had been travelling to the area known as Outremer for many weeks and had finally landed in Acre, from Cyprus, on a hot August morning. Today was just like the others, stifling and sticky with the air thin and in need of a breeze. He, his companions and the horses, whose reins they held, are all in need of a drink before they set off on the last leg of their pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

Even before the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Jerusalem had become a special place for both Christian’s and Muslim’s alike. The trouble was both thought they should hold the key to the region allowing only their followers to come to such a sacred place. This caused great conflict between their respected heads and in 1095 concerns were raised by the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I that the now very strong Saracen armies (now synonymous throughout Europe in the Middle Ages with a Muslim) would start to creep into Eastern Europe. He appealed to Pope Urban II for assistance and with his religion at stake he decided he could not stand idly by and watch this happen. His address to the huge expectant crowd at Clermont France would change history forever. 

‘Christians, hasten to help your brothers in the east, for they are being attacked. Arm for the rescue of Jerusalem under your captain Christ. Wear his cross as your badge. If you are killed, your sins will be pardoned.’

And so the First Crusade had begun.

Urban’s tales of Muslim atrocities to Christians in the region and more importantly his promise of salvation if you fought on this crusade in the name of God, appealed to the masses. As you can imagine, many sinners, whether the cross they bare was heavy or light, were now allowed to fight and kill in the name of God and see all the sins washed away forever. If they survived they could live in spiritual peace. If they died they had a one way ticket to Heaven.

60,000 believers, of all classes, rose up and began the 3,000 mile journey to Jerusalem. Men, women and whole families packed up everything and walked, due to the high expense of ship travel, to what they thought was their destiny. By the time they reached Turkey, disease and dehydration had taken its toll on the numbers and only 30,000 remained. Still, their one consoling belief in their faith stood strong and with the Islamic dynasties at fractions with each other, the Christian Crusaders overpowered their enemies to once again control the Holy Lands.

In the years that followed four separate states were founded in the subjugated territories and the area became known as the Outremer, translated to ‘The land beyond the seas’, region.

Firstly in the north, with its coastline along the Mediterranean and surrounding the city of the same name, the Principality of Antioch was born. Ruled by Bohemond of Taranto, a Norman from southern Italy, it had the second of the four states to its east which was called The County of Edessa.

Edessa was governed by Baldwin of Boulogne and was the furthest northern state in Outremer.

Continuing along the east coast and south of Antioch lay the smallest of the states, although equal in importance, which was named the County of Tripoli and was arrogated by Raymond of Saint-Gilles, the Count of Toulouse. Finally the largest and most influential state, south of Tripoli and stretching from Beirut to the Gaza in the south, was the mighty Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Following the victory of the first Crusade, Urban appointed Godfroi De Bouillon as its ruler. Godfroi felt it improper to reign under such a noble title as King, considering this was the very spot that Christ had won a crown of thorns, so he self title himself as the ‘Defender of the Holy Sepulchre’.