3. a protective southern gentleman 🖤 brad renfro

(For Tay. because some dunderhead hit her truck this afternoon.)

This had to have been the worst turn the afternoon could possibly take.

You had already been stressed; work seemed to suck royally today, even more so than usual. By the time the end of the day rolled around, you were just ready to go home and recharge. Unfortunately, it didn't look like the world was going to allow that to happen.

As soon as you had gotten situated in the driver's seat, -- seatbelt fastened, radio on and adjusted to your liking, AC going, -- you were startled forward by a horrible 'thud.' You let out a yelp of surprise.

Only after the shock of the impact had worn off did it occur to you what had happened: some jackass had backed directly into your car.

Trembling, you undid the seatbelt and pushed the door to the vehicle open. You had all intentions of checking if the other driver was alright, -- that is, until you heard the actual giggle as the offending driver left their seat, joining you in the middle of the parking lot.

With that, you felt your face seem to burst into flames. Never in your life had you wanted to punch someone so badly.

It really seemed that the afternoon couldn't get any worse.

That was what you were thinking as you sat on the curb like some dejected school kid, waiting for your boyfriend to come pick you up. The car had to be towed, much to your chagrin; luckily, the other driver had admitted their fault when confronted. If they hadn't, it surely would have been bad news for them.

You just hated that you had to drag one of your coworkers into it. And that you were yelling loudly enough to alert the entire city.

With all the legal, 'who-did-what' formalities out of the way, all that you could do now was go back home.

At this point, you weren't even sure you wanted to do that.

It didn't look like you had much of an option, however, as you saw Brad's car turn into the lot. Sighing, you stood up on shaking legs, brushing yourself off haphazardly as you headed towards the passenger's side.

Of course, you couldn't even get the door open before you heard shouting again.

"Holy mother of God!" You rolled your eyes upon hearing those drawl-tinged words from Brad's lips. As if they would help anything.

The frustration didn't last, however, once you heard the question that followed.

"Are you alright?" he asked. Though his voice was still slightly raised, the inflection of the words was obviously tender. He was showing his concern the only way he knew how. Bless him. "I was worried sick," he continued, drumming his fingers nervously against the steering wheel. "I about killed myself trying to get over here. Just... Jesus Christ..."

"Brad," you interrupted him.

He turned to look at you, dark eyes full of concern, and your heart sank a bit.

You sighed, lifting a hand to your aching temples. "I don't know if I can talk about what happened, -- or what could have happened, -- a whole lot right now without crying. So please..." You dropped your hand from your head to reach across the console, finding yourself grasping his hand. "...just take me home."

Out of the corner of your eye, you could see him close his mouth, jaw set. Before you could say anything, looking for affirmation that he wasn't upset with you, you felt his fingers intertwine with yours.

After that fleeting moment of tenderness, both of his hands returned to the steering wheel. With more care than he did most things, he managed to get the two of you back home safely.