Chapter 2

After supper, I helped Toby clean up before heading to the bedroom I shared with Ford. I found him sprawled out across the full sized mattress, looking like a giant on a mat. There were seven people living in this house but only four beds. Ford and I took turns using our bed and it worked out. Ford often tried to get me to share the bed with him, but looking at him now, I decided I didn't want to be crushed in my sleep.

I smiled and rolled my eyes. I began rifling through the drawers of the small white dresser looking for pjs. I found a black tee and gray shorts and started changing. As I stood there in my underwear, I heard a low whistle. I could practically hear the smile on his face. Spinning around, I rolled my eyes and placed my hands on my hips. Ford had rolled on to his back and now lay with his hands behind his head, watching me. He winked.

"How you doin'?" He asked with a horrible jersey accent. I groaned and chucked my converse at him. He blocked the shoes with his hand and patted the small space beside him.

"Come in to my office." I turned my back on him and pulled up my shorts, no doubt giving him a view. I yanked the tee over my head and straightened it out, before grabbing my phone from my jeans pocket and marching out.

"Perv." I muttered. I heard him chuckle as I headed to the livingroom. Everyone had retired to their rooms for the night, so the livingroom was empty. I plopped down on the couch and flicked on the tv.

As random images flitted across the screen, my mind began to wander. I thought back to my first phase. I had been twelve and still living with my familial pack. I had been in a heated argument with my twin brother and it had started to get physical.

"You're just a weakling. A runt. That's why Zephyr doesn't like you. You're a great, big wuss!" The green eyed boy shouted as he shoved me to the ground. I could feel the tears threatening to spill but I held them back, sniffling in frustration. I jumped to my feet and shoved him back.

"I'm a lot stronger than you! Who pulled you out of the creek when Dad's boat went under? You were crying like a baby." The boys face went beet red and I could almost see steam coming from the top of his head. Then he slapped me. I froze in shock of what he'd just done. We'd had fights before, but we'd never full on hit each other before. I felt my fists clench and my teeth grind as a strange warmth flooded my body, taking me to my hands and knees. It started at the back of my neck and branched out along my spine until my entire being was wrapped in a cocoon of warmth. The boy before me gasped and took a few hesitant steps back. His eyes were wide and his face had gone pale.

'What?' I tried to say, but instead a strange huffing sound came from my nose. I looked down and jumped in surprise. Where my hands had been a moment ago, were two giant black paws. They were huge, about the size of two small frying pans. The fur was thick and black, though in the sun it shown with a reddish hue. I lifted my right hand and the right paw lifted. I did the same with my left. It had finally happened. I had phased. I smiled and laughed, which came out as more of a grimace and a coughing sound.

"Mom! Solitaire phased!" The boy shouted at the house. I glanced up at my brother in excitement, but that quickly faded when I saw the look on his face. Hatred. His green eyes bore into my honey gold ones with an indescribable wrath and obvious envy. I shrank back a few steps and felt my ears go back. His glare was scaring me. A moment later, the back door flew open as my mother rushed out. She saw me and her hand flew to her mouth. Tears of pride and joy boiled in her eyes as she rushed to me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Oh, Hunny! I'm so proud of you! Look at you! Your wolf looks like your fathers! Oh, just wait until he gets home! He'll be thrilled." She practically squealed in excitement. I smiled again, but kept my eyes warily on my brother as he clenched his fists.