Carnivorrr

"Carnivorrr..."

William jumped, and looked around nervously. What the heck? I'm hearing things now.

Probably the gosh awful stink from all these cow pancakes. He continued using the branch to scrape the malodorous turd from his expensive shoes.

That damn horse had crossed in front of him and forced him to veer into the ditch. Now here he was slogging across some dirt merchants field. Yeesh.

"Car-ni-vorrrrrr"

He spun around. "Hello?" He heard some scuttling behind one of the dilapidated wooden buildings. Must be one of the farmer's manure covered kids. He snickered at the thought.

The barn door was open so he stuck his head in and called out again "Hello?" No sense getting shot by some overall wearing sheep poker with an IQ of 2. He saw some vague shapes in the dark. "Is anyone there? My car veered off the road and into the ditch out front, I'm hoping you can help pull me out."

No answer.

He was ticked now. Running late and smelling like Noah's Ark at the end of the 40 days and nights.

"Look, I only fell in the ditch because your old nag was crossing the road. The least you could do is help pull me out!"

"Carnivooorrrrrr"

He turned just in time to get kicked by a big brown horse, which sent him tumbling buttocks over head three or four times into the darkened barn.

He lay stunned and in incredible pain on what smelled like a pile of rotten vegetables. Shuffling sounds and shadows moved closer blocking the light from the doorway. He was filled with sudden fear. "I'm sorry. On second thought you don't have to help me with the car if you don't want to. I'll just call triple AAA and have them pick me up." He had reached for his phone and started to dial when the horse's head loomed from the darkness and bit the phone in half.

He looked up and wet himself as a cow and the biggest pig he ever saw joined the horse. He reached around frantically and pulled a large stick from the muck.

Stick? It wasn't a stick, it was a damn bone!

The pig wrinkled his snout and breathed out "Carnivooorrrrr"

As they lowered their heads William began to scream.

[Note: I saw the challenge thread for writing a horror paragraph on the Writer's Digest forum and figured I'd try my hand at it during my lunch break as writing practice. I ended up penning a tiny story so figured I'd share. Lunch time is over so I didn't proof it beyond a spell check but here it is.]