chapter 8

Evara POV

After bargaining with the devil I came into the hospital room. I looked at the clock and it showed 11:45 pm.
15 minutes more!
I'll be entering my twenty forth year of my life. Today was Mia's birthday. Though I wished her when the clock reached twelve. I miss her now and I know she must be missing me too now as we always celebrated our birthdays together till last year but this year changed all our traditions. Mia worked till 6 in the evening and after completing all her work she got her leave to celebrate her birthday. I want to get discharged and even tried for it but that stupid heartless devil gave strict orders to the staff not to discharge me till tomorrow morning so I'm struck here tonight.

You know every year we used to gift each other our favorite things . Last year I gifted Mia her favorite makeup bag and she gifted me iPod as I'm a liztomaniac . Today I can't give her gift but I already pre ordered it and it is ready to be gifted . This year I bought Mia , her favorite charm bracelet of birds which she lost accidentally in an exhibition.

I was in deep thought but my thoughts are interrupted by an alarm sound which means that the clock has struck twelve and it's already my birthday. I switched off the alarm which rings every year and was staring at the screen blankly. With in a few seconds  my dad's phone number displayed on the screan making me grin from ear to ear.

I excitedly took the call and there was a silence on the other side.

"Dad?" I questioned only to hear the clearing of his throat from the other side which means he is still on the phone.

"Dad ?"  I said again but this time he spoke saying ,
"Happy birthday Evara!"

"Thank you so much dad!"  I said smiling but my smile stopped when my dad cut the call.

I can't hear his voice except the beeping sound on the other side. I don't know why dad does this but he does this every year. I am now used to it and accepted it. At the start I was hurt and couldn't take it as after all it is the birthday of his one and only daughter but slowly I accepted his behavior towards me as I know he loves me more than anything else in the world and he is doing all this because he wants to protect me and according to him he was absolutely right according to his thesis on growing up the children decently. He believes pampering makes them spoiled.

When I was a child on my every birthday my room and bed would be filled up with many gifts. I was eight years when on birthday I woke up and shocked to see my room showered with gifts. I quickly ran down to my dad thinking he was the one who gifted me all those gifts.

"Dad, thank you so much for all those gifts.
I love them!" I said excitedly hugging him with a big smile.

"What gifts ?
I didn't gave you any gifts! " My dad said in a smooth serious tone and I was shocked.

If my dad didn't gave me those then who bought them?
I think my mom understood my confusion and she said,
"May be the angel was happy with you and gave you all those gifts while you are sleeping!"

Then, I was a child and believed her words thinking there was really an angel giving me those gifts but as I grew up on my every birthday the same tradition of those gifts followed. I even tried to wake up at night to know who that angel was but I used to fall asleep past two or three only to find gifts in the morning.

On my fifteenth birthday I decided to stay awake and know who that angel was. The clock hit twelve and my parents wished me and told me to sleep.
I did.
But not completely.
I acted like I was sleeping. At two in the night I heard a creaking sound of my door as an indication of that angel's presence. I can hear the footsteps of that person. I immediately wanted to open my eyes and see who it was but I remained silent and silently see what the angel does by peeping out of my blanket.