Chapter 40. Sacrifice

Daniel's POV

"So, where's the unlucky guy who got stuck with you, Clarabell?" I taunted Claire who glared at me vehemently.

We were in the witch academy and Claire was going to meet her mate and since Stephen was in Veneton, Claire thought of getting me along with her as I am her friend.

"He's lucky that he has me. Besides, if Stephen wouldn't have been in Veneton, I would have bought him along. You're such an annoying person, Daniel."

"Admit it. You enjoy my company. That's why you bought me here," I wiggled my brows and winked at her as she rolled her eyes.

"I am so done with you, Danny. I'll go see where Jacob is. He's taking too long. And don't you wander around. There are scary witches here who might want to make you their next sacrificial thing," she warned and stomped off without waiting for my reply.

I rolled my eyes at her retreating figure. She's so annoying sometimes.

I kicked the stone on the grass ground as I waited for her return. It has been almost half an hour since she went and there was still no sign of her.

What was she doing? Counting chickens with her mate?

Deciding to go search myself, I turned around when someone crashed onto my chest. I held her waist to prevent her from falling.

I felt sparks shoot through me from the spot where my palms made contact with her skin. My wolf was jumping with a weird kind of joy and was really desperate to speak but I shut him off.

Now wasn't the time to have chats with my bugging wolf when I had a pretty little woman in my arms.

Pretty? Oh, I didn't see her face yet!

All I could see was her bright blonde hair as her head was supposedly lowered.

"Are you alright, miss?" I inquired and found her slowly raising her head to reveal beautiful set of grey eyes staring at me.

She stared at me for quite a while and I took the time to analyse her face. She had pale skin which looked soft alright and then there was her pink lips that looked so kissable then her bright grey eyes which looked full of life.

She cleared her throat before stepping back, "Oh, I'm sorry for bumping into you. I should have looked my way and ofcourse I shouldn't be staring at someone like that. It's just that you're so handsome....uh...I mean you're a gentlemen. By the way, why am I talking so much? I should probably go."

She turned away to go but suddenly stopped and turned her head in my direction, "It was good meeting you, mister," she smiled before continuing on her path.

That's it? I don't even get her name?

I shook my head. Why am I suddenly interested in a complete stranger?

I found a smile tug on my on lips. Indeed, I've gone mad.

~~~

I blinked my eyes several times to confirm whether the woman I was now starting at was really that woman I once met on a sunny day when Claire took me to meet Jacob.

She did have the same face. But her eyes looked hollow, her skin deathly pale, her hair black quitting any sign of those bright blonde hair and....

My eyes widened at the sight of those black horns on top of her head. There was not even a single trace of the woman who I met years ago who had a bubbly attitude and whose eyes shone when she spoke. The woman who peeked my interest within a single encounter.