Chapter 49

Beth regained consciousness. Her eyes fluttered open, but she saw nothing. She was either somewhere very dark or she was blind. Her head felt like lead and it throbbed with excruciating pain. Tears slid from her eyes and a moan of pain escaped her lips.

   Liam jolted awake at the sound. "Beth?" He whispered.                      

   She whimpered quietly in reply. The pain made it hard for her to concentrate on forming words.

   "Are you okay? Tell me what you need." Liam worriedly asked.

   "It hurts." Beth cried softly. Tears streamed down her face.

   Liam grew alarmed by her crying. The pain must be pretty bad. He drew closer to her and cradled her in his arms. "You'll be okay." He said.

   Beth was comforted by his words and strangely the pain dimmed a little. Soon, all she was focused on was the touch of Liam's hand as he gently caressed her hair. She was soon asleep.

   Liam relaxed when he heard quiet snores coming from Beth. He hoped she would sleep the pain away and be well in the morning. He hated seeing her in pain. It was torture.

   He tried hard to stay awake just in case Beth awoke again, but sleep overcame him. The night was once again quiet.

__________

   Liam huffed air out of his nose. Something was tickling him. He huffed again and twitched his nose. His eyes remained closed. He was still partly asleep.

   The tickling stopped, but a few seconds later something tugged on his hair. Now he was beginning to get annoyed, but he kept his eyes closed. He hoped the nuisance would leave. Then he felt a sharp pinch on his ear.

   He bolted upright, ready to slap whatever was bothering him. He swiftly put his hand down when he saw who it was.

   "Good morning sleeping beauty."

   A grin spread across his face and his eyes shone as he wrapped his fiancé into a tight hug. He couldn't stop his emotions and he began to cry.

   "Liam, what's wrong?" Beth asked.

   "Nothing," He said, and drew back. "I'm just glad you're okay."

   Beth's heart melted at the sight of Liam's expression. His love-filled eyes, tear-stained cheeks, and the joyful grin made her want to weep.

   "What did I ever do to deserve you?" She asked.

   Liam laughed and smothered her in another hug.

   When they drew apart, Liam studied the place where Beth's wound was. The nasty jagged cut was completely gone.

   "Am I dreaming?" Liam wondered aloud.

   "What do you mean?" Asked Beth.

   "Your cut." He said. "It's gone. No scar or anything."

   "What!?" Beth said. She brought her hand up to her forehead. "There's no way it could heal that fast."

   "It certainly is bizarre," Liam said. "Maybe we could ask Meelah if it was the medicine she used."

   "It could be." Beth said, but internally wondered, "But why isn't there at least a scar?"

   Across the clearing the Viscordians began to stir, awaking from their first night on the surface. Kelbar had awoken early and was already busy teaching the forgotten skills of surface living. His students listened intently. Old and young stood around him.

   With better lighting, Jakam studied the clearing and its surroundings. It was beneath a mountain that would offer shelter from wind, rain, and sun. There was plenty of food sources and good locations for cropland nearby. And not too far away there was a small lake. The vital components were all there. Food, water, and shelter. This land held a promise of good things to come and a prosperous future. He was glad his people would no longer live in darkness. The tomb of their old home would hopefully be sealed forever. The caves had been a blessing in their time of need. If they hadn't found them they'd probably be dead, but if any monsters threatened them in the future, he was determined they stay and fight.

   Meelah was exhausted. She'd tossed and turned all night. Nightmares of monsters haunted her dreams. As soon as she awoke she rushed over to check on Beth. She half expected the human girl to be dead, but when she came to the place where she'd left them, they weren't there.

   Startled, she looked around. She spotted them with Kelbar and Jakam, a short distance away. She trotted over.

   "I like this clearing very much," Jakam stated. "I think it will make the perfect place for our new home. What do you think Kelbar?"

   Kelbar looked around. "It is very good." He said. "Much better than the location of my old village. Too much dirt."

   "I'm glad you think so," Jakam said. "And I must admit, I've been seriously thinking that you should replace me as the leader."

   Kelbar looked surprised. "I would be honored, but your people don't need a replacement. You are an excellent leader!"

   "I haven't been on the surface for a very long time. I don't know how to lead the people up here. I feel inadequate," Jakam admitted.

   "You are their leader. " Kelbar insisted. "You're the only one that can fill that role. Not me, I'm a stranger."

   "You're not a stranger. You are one of us. If it weren't for you we would have never known it was safe to return." Jakam said. "Please consider it."

   "No." Kelbar refused.

   Jakam looked defeated.

   "But I'll help you," Kelbar added.

   Jakam's mood brightened.

   "I intend to stay here with my fellow Viscordian's. The humans no longer need my help. I will teach you all you need to know and give you guidance, but you will lead."

   Jakam felt hopeful. Kelbar's words encouraged him. "Thank you Kelbar."

   Kelbar turned to Beth. "Is that okay if I stay here?"

   "Yes! Of course Kelbar. You don't need to ask. We will miss you though. You've become a good friend." Beth replied.

   Liam nodded in agreement.

   Meelah was finally acknowledged. "How are you feeling Beth?" She asked.

   "Very well," Beth replied. "Your medicine was extremely effective.

   "I'm amazed at your recovery," Meelah said. "I thought your injuries would be fatal. It was only a simple pain-killing herb that I used on your wounds."

   "Humans must be very different than us," Jakam said. "Very fast healers."

   "Yeah." Beth thought to herself. "Very fast healers."

   There was an eerie silence, then the conversation shifted. "You are welcome to stay as long as you want," Jakam told the humans.

   "Thank you so much." Beth said, "But we should be getting back."

   "Well, you can visit anytime you like. It was an honor meeting your species." Jakam told them.

   "I'll miss you," Kelbar said. "You've been a very good friend to me. I hope you'll find time to visit."

   "I promise we'll see you again," Beth said.

   Liam and Beth walked a little way into the forest until they were out of sight. They didn't want to startle any curious onlookers by their sudden disappearance.

   "You ready?" Beth asked. She clasped Liam's hands.

   "Always."