They are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together

PROLOGUE

When they told me, I lost my mind. I cried and screamed and buried my face in my pillow. 

Henry called. Like, a bajillion times. I didn't answer my phone, but I saw all the messages. 

School was duller than before. I stopped hanging out with my friends. I sat in the corner and stared at whatever. 

Divorced. Took a while to sink in. They were really, truly going to move away from each other and sign whatever shit they had to and forget about each other and remarry. That was what I hated the most. That they'd just carry on. That all their promises would break. Along with me.

I haven't decided which one I was going to stay with. Aggressive, yet caring mom, or stupid, but good dad.

Truth was, I wanted neither. 

CHAPTER 1

"KEE-KEE!" This time I'd called him. His nickname for me was "Kee-kee", because I've known him since I was too, and Kia was a mouthful to say. "Hey Henry."

"HEY? ALL I GET IS A FRIGGIN' HEY?! KIA, MAN, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CALL YOU FOR-"

"Yeah, yeah, sorry."

"Humph." I almost giggled. I thought only girls said that. But Henry was a dramatic boy. "So...WHAT HAPPENED?"

"The-the-they're getting divorced."

"Ooh...honey..." Henry likes to talk in a conscending voice with me. It somehow makes me feel better. He doesn't commpletely sound like a parent.

"I'm just..."

Not doing well. 

"...perfectly fine."

"You're not. And you're also coming over to my house."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are. Meet me there in one minute and forty-nine seconds."

Then the line went dead.

I had to go. I needed someone to talk to. And Henry...was the only person.

Because you like him, a nasty voice inside my head said.

No, because...he's the easiest to talk to.

Because you like him.

I couldn't argue. But I hated it. I hated liking someone. I was a very independent person. My shallow, flirty friends all wanted boyfriends and stuff, like regular girls were supposed to. And they kept telling me I should get one too...since I was all "beautiful and all". I hardly considered myself beautiful. My eyebrows were barely there...so thin it almost looked like they'd disappeared. My long, black hair was never brushed. My lips were too thin, like British royalty thin. I was tall...too tall. Even taller than Henry, and damn, that guy grew like a foot a month.