Chapter 2

"I still can't believe you've done this, Evangeline," Livvy scolded as she looked again at the contract her niece had signed just two days ago. "Why would you do this without me being there? You never sign a contract without having someone else look at it first. And when he said, 'perhaps we can come up with some sort deal to keep all interested parties out of the throes of scandal' I didn't think he meant this."

"There wasn't time for that, Livvy. He made it very clear that he wanted it done that day and that I couldn't involve you or he would withdraw the offer. And if you had heard him describe the conditions in that place you would have done the same thing."

"He's very clever, I'll give him that. He knew he could reel you in with stories about how deplorable it is in prison. That's why he wanted to see you alone. I never should have agreed to it. Martha was right about him. She told me he was a spawn of the devil and Martha is always right about people."

"Do you really think the outcome would have been any different if you had been there?"

"Yes. For one thing there would have been a time limit. No where in this contract does it say how long you have to stay here. Does he expect you to remain in this ridiculous sham of a marriage 'til death do you part? I'm not even sure if this is legal and binding. I'm going to have my attorneys go over it with a fine toothed comb."

"He told me it was. He is a lawyer after all. He's worded it so that it seems I'm offering him a service in exchange for room and board and anything else I might need or want."

"Well, doesn't that sound all lovely and innocent. It's slavery is what it is!"

"You would have done the same thing if you had been in my shoes. I had no choice. Not only did he offer to let them out of prison with a full pardon but he also threatened to tell the truth about the baby."

Livvy covered her face with her hands and groaned towards the ceiling. "That would be disastrous."

"Yes, I know. As you remind me all the time. Why don't you just tell the truth about the baby and then he won't have anything to hold over our heads? Now that the boys have been pardoned...."

"Only to have them be framed for a murder that will get them hanged? You heard the coldness in his voice Evangeline. He cares little for his own flesh and blood. Do you think he will care two figs for a couple of outlaws who have caused him trouble?"

Evie rose from her seat and went to stare out the hotel window at the busy street of downtown Cheyenne. She was beginning to know how Hannibal and Jed had felt all these years. She just wanted to have a normal life. And now having anything normal seemed so far out her reach.

Livvy came up behind her and hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry. I know you were only doing what you felt was best for everyone. I just wish you didn't have to make such an awful choice."

"Does it really matter? If I agreed to his terms, both of them would be in prison for the next eighteen years. So if I have to live my life without him, at least now I can live it knowing he's free. I don't think God intended for me to be happy."

"Don't blame God for anything, Evangeline. It's men who make their secret deals and send other men to prison when they should have been given amnesty that you should blame. Blame men like Clayton Ramsey. And all to keep the public from believing that his son is what he really is. Ooooo it makes me so angry."

"You should have seen him, Livvy. He was thin and all his hair was gone. All his beautiful hair. I just hope he doesn't hate me." She couldn't hold back her sorrow as the last word was released on a sob. She turned into her aunt's waiting arms and cried until her head ached.