Chapter 1: Gin

BANG!

I opened my eyes to the sun's glare, such a silent relief. That nightmare felt so real from the pain, the agony and all of the blood. I quickly check the left side of my body looking for any sign of a bullet wound... nothing. It felt real... that was the creepy part.

Gathering my thoughts, I quickly realize that it's too late to make breakfast but enough time to head to my first job at the day care, which was a pretty care free job to have. I turned the faucet on and looked at myself in the mirror, I look like her. My mother was a strong and beautiful woman who turned heads every time she entered the room. I, sometimes, can hear her beautiful singing voice throughout the room. I missed it and her. My brown skin, caramel in complexion, looked as if it was glistening thanks to the sun's rays. My curly hair, on the other hand, was the product of me sleeping without doing anything to it and so it became a bun day, a normal occurance for myself.

"ARIANAAAA!" A voice came screeching from outside my door, "ARIANA! OPEN UP! THIS IS IMPORTANT!" It must be Reina. I finished brushing my teeth and headed to the door to see Reina standing there looking more than enviously beautiful, her hair was curly but looked as if she spent hours just getting it together and reached her mid back while her body stood slender and tall. Well so much for feeling good about my glistening skin but that was Reina. She was beautiful even on her worst day.

"What's wrong?!" I noticed she looked a bit off and a bit worried.

"It's Kai... He joined that bullshit group!" Her voice rose filled with anger and rage. She began to pace around the apartment, a sign she was bothered. Kai was (well probably still is) Reina's boyfriend and that bullshit group was a local syndicate, the Black Dragon. They have already grown global and controlled most of our city, New Haven, in every aspect. 

I sighed and gestured for her to come in and join me in my bedroom while I put on my clothes for work. "It isn't an entirely bad thing and the money is good. What is he going to be doing?" Did I mention that I am terrible at comforting people. 

"FUCK THE MONEY! I thought you hated them too!" Reina was now pissed. She got up off my bed and approached me with tears in her eyes, "He could die... he could. YOU, out of all people, should know that!" Her voice became so sad and scared that I had no clue what to do with all that emotion. 

She was right though. I hated them but it was useless. The whole city fell to their knees and welcomed them with open arms out of fear. I had my own association with them, my father. He was one of the most powerful men in the syndicate, merciless and strong. Many cringed when his name was said and others ran in the other direction. He was the devil on earth... until he met my mother, a free spirited and strong-willed woman.

Their love was his fall and my birth his grave. Those in the Black Dragon who wanted him to step down used us as leverage. My father, so in love with us, swore to them that he will give up his title as the boss as long as they let us be. Sadly, they held up their part of the deal and got his title but took my father's life with it.

I was only 5 at the time of his death. I was young, naive and new to the world. My mother waited up all night for him to come home. She didn't sing, she didn't sleep, she didn't move from the window sill. All she wanted was my father and all that could make her feel whole was his touch.

Morning came and a knock at the door woke me up. My mother opened the door to see Uncle Frank, my father's close friend. I peeked at them both and watched as he gave her the news. Her body fell to the floor and her cries wailed like a banshee's. I never knew what was said but I could tell he was the deliverer of bad news. I never forgave them for that or for my Mother.

"Reina... I have to go to work. Meet me for lunch? We can talk then. I promise" I guess this will hold me over to figure out how to comfort her. "How about 2? Before I have to head to my other job." She nodded her head, wiped her tears and hugged me.