I'm only here to help.

I would like to dedicate this to a very special person who will always be in my heart. ;-)

I just couldn't stop laughing at what he had said, " I'm the man who is here to change your life." Who does this guy think he is, I started to go from a loud laugh to a giggle. He was just standing there smiling & shaking his head as he was looking at me. I didn't know what he meant but didn't pay attention to it.

"My name is Angela, nice to meet you & I do know the Gonzales family. " He seemed to relaxed as I said this to him. "Do you mind telling me how to get there?", he asked.

"They do live this way, just follow the stream that is along the back side of this wheat field, you will find the house of the Gonzales family by the big oak tree by the stream.", I tell him.

As I'm telling him this I start to turn to walk away. I still had chores to finish before mama & my sisters got back. Which reminded me where was mama at? I was never home at this time and I was getting worried for her, I had not seen her since I ran out the house this morning. I had walked a pretty long distances lost in my own thoughts when I realized that I had the horse with me. Why am I walking? I could just have ridden the horse back home. I turn to mount my horse when I see that Jeeva was following me but a few feet behind me.

" What are you doing?" I asked. He stopped putting his hands in his pants pockets looking at the ground all shy, how cute is that.

" I was wondering if by any chance you had some food with you? I haven't eaten anything since yesterday morning.", he said.

I felt so bad for him. He hadn't eaten a whole day, he did say he was looking for work. So, I guess I could feed him besides he would need his strength for any type of work he may do. Good thing I always carry a bag with bread, dried meat, fruit & water. You always had to have food with you if you worked in the wheat fields." Here you go this should keep you feed for a day." I tell him. I took the bag off my back & tossed it to him.He caught it, " Thank you so much I really appreciate it."

I mounted my horse and turn around to look at him " No problem my mom always taught us to help those in need." I turn around & pull on the reins, heeled the horse and rode off.

I went back home to finish with my chores, but still was wondering where was momma. I would have to go looking for her soon. I did all that needed to be done in the barn with the animals. Then started inside the house, I soon got tired being in the house thinking about why my father would leave us like that. I was cleaning the picture frames & in every single one we would all be smiling, laughing. I just couldn't take it no more, I had to get out of the house before I felt all my emotions suffocate me. I was walking out the door when I seen a basket of white linens that need to be washed setting on the table. I guess going to the stream to wash a few linens would be good. Besides, it was noon the sun was hot and the water would feel refreshing.

As I was walking toward the back of the barn I heard laughter, it sounded like it was of my mother & a man! What in the world was happening, I picked up my pace to get to her and see who was with her. I turned the corner of the barn & crushed into something hard, making me fall straight on my butt & dropping the basket of the linens. "Angela, honey are you okay? What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Here let me help you up.", my mother said. I just sat in the dirt looking up at my mother & Jeeva!

To say that he was surprised is an understatement his eyes were about to pop out. " Here Mrs. Gonzales let me help her, besides I'm only here to help with what I can."

Now I looked surprised," What do you mean only here to help?" I asked as I'm getting help up. Oh no! Did he talk to momma already, my bet was yes just by looking at that big smile on his face. Great just what I need something else to worry about." Angela, this young man here is looking for work & like your father just left us." "MOM, please!" " What Angela, it's the truth & we need help. Your father used to take care of the fields now that he is gone, who is going to work them, huh?" She had a point there, we used to help sometimes but only lasted an hour or two. " Fine, mother but he is to stay in the barn not the house." I said "ANGELA!" my mother yelled, " he is a human being not an animal." " I know that mother, but do you want town people to talk?" I said. " No , of course not, I don't want that." she said.

Jeeva just witness this discussion between me & my mother how embarrassing.

" OK , Angela you help him get set up in the back of the barn there is a small room with a bathroom & a small wood burning stove make sure to give him extra blankets you know how cold it gets at midnight until early morning." I just nod my head agreeing with her, as she turns around to leave she looks over her shoulder looking at Jeeva. " Jeeva, come to the house for dinner after getting washed up, you need a good meal with all the work you will be doing on my lands.", with that she left us standing there alone.

I started to pick up the linens that were still on the ground,muttering things to myself great dirt all over white linens & so forth. I go to grab a linen when a hand is placed on top of mine. I look up & see those eyes. " Here let me help you with that, it was my fault that you fell & dropped them on the ground." , he says. I allow him to help me pick them up. When we were through we just stood there in complete silence.

Why was I being so shy all of sudden. This is so not like me, I am the confident one never shy to speak my mind. Why is it that with him I got tongue tied?

"Thanks for helping me to pick them up." I say as I try to balance the basket on my hip.

"No problem, I'm only here to help." he says but I see something in his eyes that tell me otherwise.