Chapter 35 - Tickled Pink, Juliette...

Michael

Friday August 14th, 1987 - Los Olivos, California

I stand by and watch as Doctor Mavens and two emergency respondents attend to Miya, who now lays semi-conscious on the living room floor. It feels like an eternity, but after about ten minutes I hear the doctor order the paramedics to take her upstairs and make sure she's comfortable. 

"Is she alright?" I ask Doctor Mavens as she approaches me.

"She's okay," she nods. "The baby is doing fine as well."

I sigh with relief. "What happened to her?"

"A minor anxiety attack," she says. "Something made her panic, then hyperventilate and faint. All she needs is lots of rest, plenty of water and absolutely no stress." 

"I'll make sure of it, Doc."

"I must warn you, Michael," she starts. "The first panic attack didn't have any severe effects because Yonela was not expecting a baby at the time. Now that she's pregnant, it's absolutely crucial that she's at her absolute best - she might not be so lucky if this were to happen again."

"I understand," I nod. "And I've also got a very strong hunch as to what's causing all this stress. I'll deal with the problem immediately."

"Please do," she responds with a nod before glancing at her watch. "I'd better get back to the hospital."

"Thank you so much for taking care of her," I say.

"This is what I live for," she smiles while hanging her stethoscope around her neck. "I also hope to see you both in excellent health next Friday. Until then, take care."

"Goodnight, Doc," I smile before we shake hands. The medics make their way back downstairs and straight out the door after greeting me politely. Doctor Mavens follows behind, and I wish all of them a safe drive before closing the door. I immediately make my way upstairs to check on Miya.

When I open the door to our bedroom, she's laying on her left side, facing the window and staring out into the wide array of stars that adorn the Californian night sky. She must hear me come in because she turns to look at me as soon as I shut the door.

"How're you feeling?" I ask quietly.

"I can breathe again," she teases, her smile faint and her voice nearly a whisper. "A little drowsy from the medicine, but I'm fine otherwise."

"Alright," I smile. "Are you hungry? That casserole's still in the oven. I could go and get some for us---"

"Don't worry about it," she says in a whisper. "I'll make breakfast hash in the morning."

"Okay," I say. She turns over so that her body is facing mine completely, and I kiss her forehead softly as she rests her head on my chest. There's a moment of quiet between us - not awkward at all, but peaceful for the first time in what feels like an eternity now. I take in a slow and deep breath, then exhale it slowly before Miya speaks.

"I remember," she says.

I frown slightly. "What do you remember?"

"The day of my collapse - I remember everything."

"You do?"

"Yeah."

"What happened that day?"

She exhales deeply, and I feel her body tense up against mine instantly. I instinctively start to rub her shoulder to try and comfort her.

"Talk to me, babe."

"It was late in the afternoon," she begins. "I went out for a walk by the pool, like I always did at Hayvenhurst. The sun had just gone down and it started to get a bit chilly, so I decided to fetch a small blanket in the guesthouse."