The Untameable Texan - Part 2

CHAPTER TWO

Texas financier Jed Farrell always gets what he wants...and he wants one-on-one time with the high school sweetheart who got away...

Jed might have won the skirmish, but even after Kimberly consented to finding closure on their relationship she managed to avoid him for the next forty-five minutes. She pretended to be busy, but he had a feeling she was inventing tasks in order to stay as far away from him as possible.

He used the time to mix and mingle, greeting old friends who now lived out of town and exchanging jokes and conversation with men and women he had known for most of his life. Royal was a great place to live and raise a family. As content and successful as he was in Dallas, he couldn't deny the pull of home.

The faces were familiar: Craig Richardson had been a senior when Jed was a freshman. Megan Maguire, who managed the local animal shelter, was as cute and friendly as ever. Even Keaton Holt was here tonight, and Keaton was not much of a party animal.

After meeting his social obligations, Jed scoped out the seating choices carefully. Most of the tables were arranged for eight, but there were a few smaller ones set up for four. As they registered, guests had been urged to take pre-prepared place cards and put them where they wanted to sit. Once most people were seated and Kimberly still hovered near the chafing dishes, Jed wandered over to the entrance and spotted the nametags of a couple who hadn't shown up yet. Chances were they'd had to cancel.

Casually, he picked up place cards for himself and for Kimberly and then snagged the ones for the missing duo, as well. He seated himself at one of the two remaining quad tables, set out all the name cards and waited. Finally, Kimberly was forced to acknowledge him. With a grimace and a halfhearted wave, she summoned him to the serving line. The two of them filled their plates. Jed led his reluctant date to the empty table.

Kimberly balked when she saw they were sitting alone. "We can find space at one of the bigger tables," she said. "I'm sure you'd like to visit with your friends."

He put a gentle hand on the small of her back and urged her forward. "You're the only one I want to talk to. Sit down, Kimberly."

The band played unobtrusively during the meal. Conversation filled the room except for the island of silence where Jed and Kimberly sat. She attacked her chicken cordon bleu as if she hadn't eaten in weeks, and never once did she take her eyes off her food. But her deliberate attempt not to look at Jed gave him plenty of time to observe her.

It was disconcerting to realize that the pull of attraction was still alive and well. There were many women in attendance tonight. But the only one with the power to make Jed ache for the past was this vibrant, sexy female who had once been the focus of his nightly dreams. He allowed her to finish, surmising that she couldn't avoid looking at him forever. At last, however, both of their plates were empty, and they had polished off dessert, as well.

During the meal, Kimberly downed three glasses of wine to his two, betraying her unease. His temper began to simmer. "You used to be a lot chattier," he said, provoking her deliberately. "As I recall, you had plenty to say on the subject of us."

She sat back in her chair, her big brown eyes stormy with emotion. "The past is the past, Jed. I'm not sure what you want from me."

Draining his coffee cup, he fought to keep his response civil. "An explanation would be nice. Something more than a Dear John letter with the ink still wet. Maybe you wanted to break up with me all along, but you were too cowardly to do it. I've always wondered about your motives."

"You were leaving. I was staying. That was motive enough."

"I don't think so. All you said in that patronizing note was that long-distance relationships never work, and you were setting me free. But I think you lied to me. And I want to know why. I'm a grown man now. I've moved on. But the kid I used to be took it hard."