Chapter 4

I raise my eyebrow in confusion. How did he know I'd call? I've only just met him.

"This is Ash right? Listen I need some help." I say blushing. I hope Clare didn't just hear him call me beautiful.

"Well duh. Are you okay Mia? I noticed you weren't at school today and Clare was absent at well." Ash says. I hear the tint of worry in his voice.

"Look dude. We barely know each other but I need a favor. Clare and I just got kicked out and we need a place to stay..even just for a night. You were the only person who seemed to maybe let us." I say

"What makes you think I want to help a stranger?"

I close my eyes. He has to.

"It'll only be for a day or two. We'll stay out the way. Oh an you said on this note you wanted to talk to me about something, here's your chance"

I hear Ash mutter under his breath.

"Please. You'll get to know me and I won't be such a stranger. I'm desperate." I say.

" Mia I know you just fine. I know everything about you. It's Clare. We don't go we'll together and I don't want her near me. Let alone inside the place I sleep" Ash says.

What the hell? Has this new kid been stalking me? Maybe it wasn't a good idea to stay over there. My worry turns to frustration and I realize there is no other choice. Why he has a problem with Clare isn't understood. Hopefully I can clear things up...

"Ash please. Clare..she's really sick"

"Sick?!? What do you mean?" Ash questions

"Sick. Like pale and she is barely able to stay awake. There is something wrong with her. Please let us stay" pressing the phone to my temple I hope for the best.

"She's not sick. I'll explain everything when I get you guys."

Obviously she was. Why is he so weird? Like dude she's moaning in the corner.

"So your coming??" I say frantically.

He sighs. "Yes dear. I'm coming. I'll be at Ambersome park in 10 minutes.

Ash suddenly hangs up.

So many questions. So many. Why was her using terms of endearment? How did he know I was here? And why in the BLUE FUCK does he have problems with Clare?

Wait why am I blushing? Come on cheeks we don't have time for this.

"NO" Clare gets up, leaning against the slide she looks me straight in the eyes

"Clare, your awake. I found a place to stay for a little while. I think your sick. Everything gonna be okay now." I smile pulling her into a hug.

I feel her limp body against mine. Ash please. Hurry up. We sit for a while and she sleeps resting her head on my lap. She just needs a bed and some good food. She's fine, I try to reassure myself.

"Mia..we can't..can't go with-" Clare trails off unable to speak.

"Shhhh. Just rest." I say trying to sooth her. She's trying to get up.

"No..Ash is..Ash isn't good"

I rock her. I think she's talking jibberish. She tries to say a final sentence before her exhaustion takes over her and she falls asleep. Good timing too. I see a car pull up to the now twilight light park. It's about time man.

---------------------------------------------

•Clare•

My eyes can't stay focused. Where am I? I feel myself moving. Everything is moving. Oh my god I'm in a car! I blink and try to sit up. I feel so heavy and I'm so thirsty. I look straight in front of me and see Mia. Oh thank god she's with me. I don't remember much. We got kicked out that's apparent.

I don't understand. We were just at that park. Right?

Unable to talk or move I try feebly to call for Mia.

My voice comes out to a whisper.

"M-Mia?"

She turns around from what I thinks the passenger seat.

"Hey Clary bug. Your sick. We're on our way to get you some good sleep." She beams at me.

She shouldn't be smiling. Wait. Wait wait wait. WHO'S DRIVING?

It all comes back to me. Ash. I cannot believe this. This guy we barely know is taking us in. If I wasn't sick and feeling like I was about to die I'd hijack the car and get Mia away from him. He was bad news. I could feel it in my gut. Just because I wasn't able to have an explanation to why I hated him doesn't mean hatred wasn't there.

My eyes began to close again as we pull onto a dirt road. No no no. What was wrong with me? I have to stay awake. My inner conscious screamed to keep my eyes open. I have to make sure Mia was safe....

My vision starts getting black.

"Ash I think she's falling asleep again. Maybe we should get to a hospital. I just don't understand what's wrong with her" I barely make out Mia's words.

I see Ash look solemnly forward. "But I do" his face is blank and he looks almost mournful.

Please please let me stay awake.

I see Mia open her mouth to speak. In that moment though, my eyes shut and everything goes black.

---------------------------------------------